1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP on a partition

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by misty2055, Feb 10, 2007.

1. misty2055

misty2055 Member

I plan to do a clean install of XP as my current system has slowed right down. I have just bought a 200 GB HD and have heard people say that it is a good idea to install the OS on a seperate partition leaving a second partition for all of the programmes ect.
    Currently I have a single partition on a 80GB HD. I only plan to use the new HD.

Is there any advantage in this and if so what size partitions would I need? Also would I just install the OS and place the software drivers i.e printer on the other partition or is that only for files and folders?
    My last query is about Security. Does each partition need to have a Firewall and AV installed seperately?
    Thanks

2. onya

onya Guest

Hi Misty2055, I asked the same question when I had a pc made. Why partition? Answer was, if one partition fails, then the other can still be used. So my 200gb hdd has now been effectivly split into two separate drives. Both functioning independently, but residing within the same case.

So drive C:\ is at 48.8gb (why the odd figure, I don't know) and obviously drive D:\ has the rest. Drive C: is the default drive for your programs and drive D: is for all your saved files and backups from "my documents" etc. My D: drive has an image file of drive C:, so hopefully I don't have too much trouble, preparing a new drive in the case of a "melt down".

This link to a "do it yourself" guide, will explain the whys and wherefores of partitioning.

http://www.webtechgeek.com/How-to-Partition-a-Hard-Drive-Windows-XP.htm

Once all is installed and functioning correctly, your O/S needs one firewall and essentially one A/V program.

This is what my "tree" looks like. (drive I: is an external 200gb)

[​IMG]

Take care if you attempt to do this sort of work yourself. Lastly, that link regarding partitions, has a guide on how to Fdisk a hdd also.

Cheers.

3. misty2055

misty2055 Member

Thanks Onya, that advice was really helpful.

Regards