1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP Pro hangs with Pioneer A-04

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by explor202, Jun 26, 2003.

1. explor202

explor202 Member

After a recent m/b and OS upgrade, XP Pro hangs whenever I insert a disc into my Pioneer A-04. XP sees the drive in my computer, but with a CD/DVD in the drive, My Computer hangs until I eject the disc. Nero can't burn on it either. The A-04 is set as a slave on my secondary IDE, with a Sony CDRW and a generic DVD-ROM on my primary, both of which work properly. Any ideas?

2. Tosca

Tosca Guest

Is the drive trying to access the disk? Does it do that with everything you stick into it or just certain stuff, like blank media.

3. explor202

explor202 Member

XP tries to access the disc, no matter what I put in (DVD, CD, CDRW, etc). That's the point that it hangs. I've double checked the jumper settings, I've changed the IDE cables, even eliminated all other drives, and the same thing happens.

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I always find problems when putting a DVD burner on as a slave.

5. explor202

explor202 Member

Just to clarify, the DVD drive worked fine with an MSI m/b and XP Home (and even Pro on a separtate drive). After switching to a SOYO m/b and XP Pro is when the problem occured. Currently it's set as Master on the primary IDE, and still no luck.

6. sprout703

sprout703 Member

Check your DMA settings. I had a very similar problem. I just swiched the burner from DMA to PIO only and that did the trick. Hope this helps. I will not take the credit for this if it works, that belongs to ORIPHUS.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2003
  7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

lol - i dont mind, we learn from what we read, how do you think i learnt in the first please. Feel free to use any of my comments i make, if they sound ok :-]

Chris

8. explor202

explor202 Member

Actually, I just fixed it. Thinking it was an XP problem, I swapped the burner into an older machine with XP Pro on it, and still nothing. I took the burner back out, and here I had pushed one pin in on the back of it, by originally using an older IDE cable with all but one pin hole punched out. I took the burner apart, and gently pushed the pin back out, and all works great now. Thanks for the replies though....