1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP Pro SP2 System locks up after 30 seconds of login time

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by cfultz, Jun 20, 2007.

1. cfultz

cfultz Regular member

Hey all, i just built a new computer with a Foxconn Mobo, AMD Athlon 64 4000+ CPU, 1 GB (512x2) Kingston RAM, Rosewill 450w PSU, and a 250 GB SATA Seagate Barracuda HDD. I JUST installed XP Pro and it was running fine. I installed all the necessary drivers and what not no problems. After the second reboot, it was running great until about 30 seconds of login time when it slowly locked up. First the Window locked up, then you couldnt touch the task bar, then the scree froze... im so pissed right now lol. can anyone help? much thanks in advance!

2. syxguns

syxguns Active member

I see in your sig that you are A+ Certified! Answer a couple of questions for me and maybe I can help.

1) Is the HDD new with a fresh install of XP or is it used and not formatted before the new install?

2) Can you boot in safe mode?

3) When you said that you installed all drivers does that include the BIOS drivers for the new M'Board?

When booting did you go into the BIOS and check your CPU Temp? I want to make sure that all fans are running as well. Make sure that your Processor fan is running, if you have intake and outtake fans, make sure that they are pointing the correct direction.

Here is another thing to check. Make sure that the memory is seated firmly and not loose. Heat, memory, Processors, and Motherboards can all be very temperamental. I'm just suggesting that you double check everything before firing it up again.

Other things to look for:
    1) Recently installed software or hardware can cause problems.
    2) Check the HDD and make sure that the logical structure is not corrupt. If you can boot in safe mode you should be able to do this. Right click the c: icon select properties select tools select error checking.
    3) Pull the RAM and put it back in just to make sure that it is seated properly.

Let me know some more information and I may be able to help you pinpoint the problem.

3. cfultz

cfultz Regular member

hey thanks syxguns for the response, i got it figured out right after i posted this topic... ha go figure right? what the problem was was the mobo has an nVidia chipset on it and the drivers that came with it were complete crap. so i went to their site, got new drivers and the machine works fine... and yeah being a+ certified i guess, you still might need help... ha! thanks though!

4. morguex

morguex Guest

Hey cfultz

Never use the driver cd's that come with new hardware.
    Always goto the mfg's site and get the newest one.
    I've built about 10+ computers and I never use the cd's.

Being A+ certified you should know better. tsk tsk.

Peace all

5. syxguns

syxguns Active member

cfultz-
    I'm not A+ certified, but I have been around computers most of my life. I have built 6+ different machines. In fact I find it cheaper to build a machine than to buy a machine. When you buy a machine you have to deal with the crap they put in them. Not worth it in my opinion!

If you notice in the first post I mentioned software and hardware! So it was the drivers for the hardware after all!)