1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xp pro

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by trrkod, Aug 10, 2004.

1. trrkod

trrkod Member

Needed to reinstall XP, went to pull out OEM cd it was in 4 pieces in the case! I thought no problem I had an XP pro cd that came when I purchased a new comp that said in the accompaning instructions that I may install it on [bold]ONE[/bold] more computer. So ok installed after formatting HD the install NEVER asked for the product activation code but install worked fine except....for 1 thing . Upon start-up an icon appeared saying I had 30 days for activation, so upon clicking a screen appears which says
    .This happens every day upon start-up with the same result i.e. click OK. But...after 30 days windows shuts off I cannot sign on. Had to reinstall after formatting HD again. On day 29 now, and the same thing is happening again. Any thoughts, How do I activate the darn thing?!!!! Tom

2. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

How Are You Formatting?

Fdisk?

3. trrkod

trrkod Member

No, reinstalled windows and reparticioned disk.

4. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

Re-installing windows isnt formatting.

Formatting is completly removeing everything, and starting from a blank hard drive with nothing on it, as if you just bought it.

There is an option in Windows Setup to do a New Installation instead of Upgrade or Repair or similar.

And an option to Format the drive towards the beginiing of the setup when u boot from the CD.

If you have, try Start -> Run -> and type

%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

That will bring up the Activation, select Over internet. See if that works

Regards
    CoZZa

5. trrkod

trrkod Member

That's what I chose the option you mentioned and when done my hard drive was completely clean except for the new windows install. Tom

6. trrkod

trrkod Member

That's what I chose the option you mentioned and when done my hard drive was completely clean except for the new windows install.I knew that reinstalling was not formatting. but reparticioning the disk was. Tom