1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP vs Athalon

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by 0jammer0, Jul 4, 2003.

1. 0jammer0

0jammer0 Member

ok whats the basic difference between these two?? right now i have a SONNY VAIO: XP P4 2.53GHz 512MB 120GB DVD-RW..... but i can return it and instead get a (cheaper, money wise)EMACHINES: Athalon XP 26000+ 2.13GHz 512 MB 120GB DVD-RW/+RW. The Athalon cost around $175.00 cheaper. ..SO basically I'm asking which one should I stay with and why? Also what's the diff. between Athalon and Pentium....Also i was noticing that my computer says that I have 504MB when I thought that i had 512MB. Is it cuz I've already saved stuff? Also the Athalon says that it has 512MB but i noticed that it says it has 480MB, is it cuz somebody saved some stuff in it(it was the display model). Thanks.

2. 0jammer0

0jammer0 Member

Im sorry on the topic i meant to say "Pentium vs Athalon"

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Doesnt really matter that much which proc you go for. Typically tho you will get more bang for your buck if you go AMD however. In this case, since i doubt the Sony system features the i875 chipset it wouldnt really be worth buying it (and its a friggen Sony, ugh). Go for the AMD system and use the extra cash to add more RAM or upgrade something.

4. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

Dont worry about the ram, and to put the record straight you cant really save stuff to the ram.
    I would go with the cheaper model, however, I have found that all the Emachines I have worked on have had problems early in life, that is not to say that all Emachines are bad, just personal experience.

5. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I have noticed that AMD have hard time if you have lots of windows open at the same time. Intel chips (the ones I have used) can handle upto 50 windows open at once, whereas AMD is crazy slow with any thing over 10 windows open. The price difference may not be worth it, emachines are not as good a name brand as Sony. But name brands don't really matter. I would go Intel chip over AMD, but AMD are typically cheaper. Can I be more indifferent.

Buy what you need, not necessaryly what you want. I want a dual Xeon 64 proccessor at 3Ghz each.

6. 0jammer0

0jammer0 Member

thanks to all 4 your help, by the way i kept the Sony. WORKS GREAT!!

7. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

The rest of the subsystem also counts too! Not just the proc.

Yeah but eMachines has a sweet yearly upgrade plan (or is it every 2 years)... 'sides Sony... ugh (personal bias).

Price does matter... for a lot of ppl dont have the money to get the fancy new Canterwood systems or dual Opterons... a cheaper proc can mean a better subsystem (memory, video, mobo) and that counts more than the proc itself.

0jammer0: Do your research beforehand.. you can save a lot of money. Better yet, build it yourself (or get a techsavvy friend to do it for you) -- you will save at least $500 that way. I know cuz i do this stuff as a hobby/job

EDIT: Just realised you kept the Sony hehe :$_X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    360GB [3x120GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB[/small]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2003