1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xp won't connect to ISP

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ehamm13, Dec 5, 2012.

1. ehamm13

ehamm13 Regular member

I have a HP slim DC7600 and I has Linux on it. I decided to install XP home edition and it won't recognize any Ethernet or any other connection. But with Linux, it works fine. Do I need to update all of my SP's up to SP3 and update the driver in order for it to connect to the Internet?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3. ehamm13

ehamm13 Regular member

I downloaded all of those and going to give it a shot tomorrow and let you know since I had to completely wipe out my XP and go back to Ubuntu for time being.
    But it still boggles me. I have never had an issue like this before. Usually everything would go smoothly Plug N Play style. Also my first time with Ubuntu, and was questionable as to why it was noticed and working on there instantly without any driver installation.
    I'll let you know how it turns out. I also have SP 1-3 ready to boot, should I just stick to SP2 since SP3 isn't really much of an improvement? I still am trying to find exactly which Modem it has installed, but I just DL'd all the modem drivers to see exactly which one it is. I am thinking it is the Broadcom NetXreme Modem. I found a WLAN from another HP PC, would that also be compatible?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  4. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

5. ehamm13

ehamm13 Regular member

I tried everything, Installed all of the SP updates, I am up to SP 3. And I am now trying to find the driver for ADMTek AN983 adapter. Seems that nothing is wanting to budge. It says I am connected at 100 mbps, which I know is not right, so I know that the Network Card is working, it is just that XP is not recognizing it.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

why do you think it is not right? what browser are you using?