1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XPress used to work with 2 drives; no longer

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by jacobp, Jul 23, 2004.

1. jacobp

jacobp Member

I have a P4, 3GHz Velocity Micro computer with 1G RAM. The computer came with two DVD Drives, one of which is a 4x burner. For a long time I had absolutely no problem making backups of my commercial DVDs using XCopy Xpress (latest version). I would simply put the movie in the DVD player and the Memorex blank DVD+R (4x) media in the burner, startup Xpress, choose "Entire Disk" and click Start. AFter a few seconds, the program would state that it found blank media in the other drive and did I want burning to begin automatically after it read the disk. I'd click yes and there would be no problems.

Now, all of a sudden, this process no longer works. The program no longer asks me if I want the burn to start automatically. After the reading is completed, it does not recognize the burner at all. I've tried ejecting and reinserting the blank media in the burner, but that doesn't work either.

I've now resorted to using the burner for both reading and writing the movie and the process is working OK, with a few errors from time to time.

I've checked the IDE channels (I have two primary and two secondary channels) and found that one of the Secondary IDE Channels was set to PIO. So I uninstalled that one and Windows reinstalled it as DMA. Yet, I still have the same problem identified above.

Any suggestions?

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Have you tried uninstalling Xpress, and re-installing?

3. jacobp

jacobp Member

Yes, I tried reinstalling and it didn't change anything.

4. flip218

What version are you using? And have you ever installed a aspi layer?

5. jacobp

jacobp Member

I am using the version that was updated by installing version 3.04 of XCopy Gold. I don't know how to find the version of Xpress itself. I don't believe i've ever installed an ASPI layer, nor do I know what that is....

6. jacobp

jacobp Member

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my earlier question regarding why Xpress no longer "sees" my two-DVD drive system. You asked if I've uninstalled and reinstalled. I believe what I've done is reinstalled XCopy Gold on top of the current version without uninstalling it first.

What is the proper way of uninstalling XCopy Gold so I can start completely fresh?
    Thanks.

7. flip218

Is your dvd burner the master drive? If not, make it the master, and make your dvd-rom the slave. Also update your aspi layer:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/96485/507091-129800
    [bold]instructions on the site[/bold]

You should also consider trying different software, DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter are both free.

8. jacobp

jacobp Member

OK Thanks.