1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu on PS3

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by NinReznor, Sep 1, 2007.

1. NinReznor

NinReznor Regular member

has anyone tried installing any of these yet?
    you just Run "sudo apt-get install xubuntu" from a shell right and it will install. im interested in seeing what these other distros will be like, i know xubuntu is lighter on system requirements and more efficient with gnome and kde but im wondering what difference this will
    make on the ps3 if any.

im gonna give it a try and let you know.
    anyone with experience whose already tried this?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  2. Jamio

Jamio Member

I just installed Kubuntu last night. Easiest installation (of linux) I have ever done. All you do is find:

"Kubuntu 7.0.4 live cd"

then get the typical Sony Otheros files (I am sure you know how to get these).

Install the Otheros like you would on any other linux (format HDD, install otheros, then run otheros).

While the OtherOS is loading (as soon as you run it, while the PS3 is still at a black screen) pop the Kubuntu live cd in the disc drive.

now when the linux kernel gets to:

Kboot:

just hit the enter key on your keyboard.

You will now be on the Kubuntu live "trial" (where you can check things out before you install)

immediately click on the "install" icon on the desktop and just follow the on screen instructions. After about an hour of installing you will have Kubuntu on your PS3.

3. NinReznor

NinReznor Regular member

ah nice one, i was more interested if you could install them from a shell
    with a command, but this is just fine anyway.
    thanks