1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xvid avi's stotter after subbing with Virtualdub

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Whitness, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Whitness

Whitness Member

I'm experiencing more and more that when i try to sub avi movie's with an : XVID = XVID Mpeg-4 codec, that the final result is that the movie stotters.
    When playing it before I work the movie in any kind of way, it play's perfect, audio, video, everything looks smooth as silk, but after subbing it's pretty bad stotter quality. And it's driving me insane.
    Gspot codec states this :
    If i want to sub the movie, at a certain moment I have to choose compression, usually i choose DivX 5.2.1 Codec, but I also got choice out of several other codecs, including Xvid MPEG-4 Codec. (wich is the only Xvid codec I can choose from).
    But no matter wat kind of codec i choose, the video stotters afterwards.
    Even if I try to convert it with dvd2svcd (and add subs there), the result is the same.
    I got the latest versions of DivX and XviD Codes (koepie's), yet it won't work.
    This is really driving me insane.
    I don't know what to do, and I hope someone knows what kind of codec to so that it will work fine, or perhaps what other program to use to sub...

greetz, Whitness

2. Kingd

Kingd Guest

Whitness: First of all its stutters, not stotters. Second of all, your re-encoding a movie to watch it with subs? That's insane. Install Vobsubs and you can keep your subs as external files and you shouldn't have any problems playing that with media player or whatever. You should never re-encode an already encoded movie, the quality is quite poor and your better off either adding in forced subs during encoding or using external subs if you downloaded.

3. Whitness

Whitness Member

I'm Sorry, i'm dutch, I didn't know the exact word for stutter lol.
    Besides that, I am not re-encoding the movie to whatch it with subs, I am doing that to convert it later with another program to create an mpeg-2 out of it to make an skvcd...
    But I still can't figure out why the result gets like that.
    I have no trouble at all with ANY other kind of encoded movie, iow I can sub any codec avi and get perfect result out of it, besides xvid, and that I want to solve.
    As for quality, the final quality is quite good, and satisfactive? for me and a whole lot of other peeps.
    Just trying to figure out what to do best about that xvid.
    Btw, I always sub a movie with Virtualdub.

Greetz, Whitness

4. Kingd

Kingd Guest

Whitness: Okay, i'm still confused as to what your starting with and what your ending up with. So i'll just deal with the encoding. Sounds like you need to post your XViD or DiVX options. When you encode, some options work better then others and it's important to know what options you are using in order to troubleshoot.

5. Whitness

Whitness Member

Ok, 1st off thank you for your time to try and answer me, I apreciate it.
    2nd, I also asked an divx/xvid expert, (but posted here also, more options = faster solution), and he gave me a thing to try, and it helped.
    To summon up quickly so you can understand what i meant, is I have an avi movie, and I have external subtitles. I want to combine them.
    The avi movies (wich gave problems), were xvid encoded, I always use the program Virtualdub to "burn" the subtitles into the movie, so that afterwards I can convert the subbed avi movie to an Mpeg-2 format so I can burn it onto a Cd-rom as an SKVCD movie.
    That is the whole deal behind this, and I had al recent and best codec's (i thought), and I still got a really f*cked up quality after the subbing of the movie out of it.
    So he told me to use this ( http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/mirror.htm#klitekpp210n ) codec package...
    I did and it helped, I now can finally rework my xvid encoded avi movies like I want.
    Again, thanks for your time and effort, but the problem is solved.

Greetz, Whitness