1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xvid better?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by dsradio, Aug 10, 2007.

1. dsradio

dsradio Member

Hi all.

I have been backing up DVDs for about 2 years now using all the standard tools; DVDShrink, DVD Decrypter, RipIt4Me and AutoGK. I own Divx Pro 6.x and I've always used Divx to encode movie files for streaming.

But I also like tinker around. I've read on many forums that many people consider Xvid superior to Divx for many reasons: 'better' quality, open source, etc... etc...

So, would it worth it try encoding in Xdiv vs. Divx?

Any advice?

2. ugc

ugc Regular member

I have the same concern. But with me, I would say stick with Divx. I have tried both, and it may be possible to say xvid has a better picture, (my eyes can't tell the difference though), but my hardware likes Divx a lot better.

I have many things that play divx/xvid besides my computer. I own a DVD player that plays divx/xvid and I own a Tvix model 4100SA and model 4000u that can play anything, and they all like divx better than xvid. The playback is smoother. I get a studder with xvid, and I don't with divx on some hardware. But so far, the divx has played fine on everything.

3. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

AutoGK+Xvid+ESS should be just as compatible as DivX. I'd say that you really have nothing to lose by trying it.

4. dsradio

dsradio Member

Yeh, thanks.

It is almost like stumbling on Linux the first time, and people ask you "KDE or Gnome?" (The response is almost always Gnome, not KDE, which is a good analog for Divx and Xvid with Xvid=Gnome.) I guess it comes down to personal taste, and I have Divx anyways...

If anyone has some more technical specs/reasons that would be appreciated...! :)