1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xvid Codec problem..

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Lynx_oslo, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Lynx_oslo

Lynx_oslo Guest

For converting Xvid I was told to unsinstall all my codecs, and just install the ones I needed.

So i unistalled the programs from the start-menu, but when using Gspot, I am told there are still over 177 codecs installed!

How do I remove them ALL AT ONCE, for new installation of codecs? Please, replies are appriciated! I'm having problems converting a Xvid to SVCD, when using MainConcept, the audio becomes out of synch, and the bitrate seems to be to low. When using NERO, it aborts, when using Zealot Avi-converter, it only convert the sound, the same thing happens when using Tmpgenc.

PLEASE REPLY!!!

Lynx(oslo)

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Are you sure the audio problem happens due to a codec conflict? If you open the movie with VirtualDub, does it give any warning? Read http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/129217.
    More, if you open a movie with VDub and choose Video__Compression, how many codecs (really video codecs) do you see? Not 177, I suppose!

If you try TMPGenc and look http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd2svcd_with_tmpgenc.cfm, you could look the 'DVD to SVCD with TMPGenc' guide and use only the 'D2V to AVI' part of the guide (from 'FitCD', after the ripping part of the DVD: 'SmartRipper'+'DVD2AVI', to the end), substituting D2V --> AVI, you should make it. After all, you only need the DECoding part of the coDEC, and you manage to see the movie, isn't it?.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  3. Lynx_oslo

Lynx_oslo Guest

[bold}THX FOR A REPLY![/bold]

I have a guid for using [bold]VirtualDub[/bold] to split the [bold}AVI, Gspot[/bold] for outputratio, [bold]DVD2SVCD[/bold] with [bold]AviSynth 2.5[/bold] and [bold]Tmpgenc 2.5[/bold]

You see, the [bold]REAL[/bold] problem is my Hardware.

U would [bold]LAUGH[/bold] when U hear what I'm stuck here with!

Intel x86 family 370-slot, with 466 Celeron chip, no graphics card, just 256MB RAM, &(!)GB HD, running XP OS.

It's pretty clear that the problem was with the codecs. I use FFD-SHOW for viewing on Mplayer Classic, since it takes up less of the CPU when decoding DivX/Xvid/MPEG4.

But I installed the software as told over, and tried a sample-covertion of one minute Xvid.

When watching it afterwards, I first thought that this was [bold]F**KED UP AGAIN![/bold], but the problem was that I had an aditional MPEG-2 decoder installed at the top of FFD-SHOW, so I used Codecfixer, a neat little tool for testing and removing codecs, and removed all codecs connected to the MPEG-2 output, and [bold]VOILA![/bold]

It looked like a million bucks! I used very high quality on Tmpgenc, but the outputsize wasn't frightening at all!

Since I guess U will be reading this thread, I will ask U another question:

Is there a way for me to "speed up" Tmpgenc 2.5, so it won't have to go through [bold}first the analyze[/bold] of the video, and THEN the convertion?

I split a 700MB Xvid in two, and started the convertion-process for the first SVCD. [bold]OVER 40 HRS OF WAITING![/bold]

I have no Direct X installed, since I really don't know what good it would do for the convertion speed, but if U can give me some hints, I would [bold]appriciate it![/bold]

If i use the CinemaScope encoder, would that change anything?

And at last; can I set the DVD2SVCD to use Tmpgenc 3.0 Express instead of the 2.5 trial version?

This site is AWESOME, and has helped me a lot! I rate a forum on the # of replies or threads to my posts..

Please answer as quiqck as possible, since I'm soon starting to [bold]BEAT THIS OLD CRAP OF EQUIPMENT UP![/bold]

L8R..

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Sorry, I never use DVD2SVCD (I prefere to edit manuelly the TMPGenc's settings). And with DVD2AVI, it's just a 'environmental settings ___ VFAVI plugin' order...try to force your' TMPGenc to use the DVD2AVI plugin.