1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xViD/DivX problems... PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by gtr226, Jul 28, 2003.

1. gtr226

gtr226 Member

i've been searching and searching for hours now and i still can't get my windows media player (version 9) to play my xvid files. when i open them it says that it doesn't support the file or that it's corrupt... then it starts playing the sound of the movie but not the video. when i tried opening it in divx player 2.1 all i get is a flashing screen. i've downloaded like 50 (knowing my luck virus infested) codecs and packs to try and fix the problem. i've downloaded numerous other players and none even begin playing. this is my last resort because everything i have been reading doesn't give detailed explainations of what exactly it does. someone please help me... i just want the ease of opening all of my video files in wmp. thank you.

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Remove all your Xvid and DivX codecs. download the latest ones from afterdawn. try that. If it doesnt work then try Win DVD instead.

3. gtr226

gtr226 Member

well i downloaded all of the latest codecs (i think) and wmp9 still tells me that it can't play the file because it doesn't support the format. am i supposed to do something with the codecs other than install them? what else can i do?

4. theoracle

theoracle Member

ok. in the settings of the codec have you tried changing the fourcc codec to divx that way you still have an xvid file but as easy to play as a divx file also try encoding with other software i use vidomi hope this works if not try nic@vampirehunter.com. also on the codec file right clic on the setup info file and clic install just incase. works for me

5. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

You should uninstall all your video codecs as Oriphus suggested to rule out any codec conflicts. Then reinstall the latest xvid codec from afterdawn or wherever you can find one, then before trying wmp 9 try wmp 6.4 which you can find in the wmp program folder. Also id suggest using zoomplayer to play your movies since its less cpu intensive and it offers more options on how to view the movie.

An alternative to downloading the xvid codec is to download and install FFDshow decoder filter. Advantages: less cpu intensive than most codecs. Numerous options on how to decode the movie which includes sharpening the movie or smoothing it, deinterlacing if you have an interlaced movie, etc... And it negates the need to download most codecs since it supports most of them :) which includes all divx versions 3.11 and beyond.

Good Luck.

6. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

I also suggest removing all codec packs and stuff u installed! thats just asking for trouble to have them all there, also get yourself Gspot and AviCodec and in future they will tell you what codecs you need to play a file, and if they dont, the file is fake!