1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xvid - Divx to Archos av400 av420 Need Help + AC3 to Mp3 Guide / Help

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by SurferM, Oct 28, 2004.

1. SurferM

SurferM Member

I recently got a new Archos av420. I have a few movies encoded in Divx or Xvid with the audio encoded in Ac3. They were on VCD so there are two avi's for each movie. In order to play them on the archos they need to be encoded in Divx or Xvid with Mp3 audio.... Here is what I did:

1. Used VirtualDubMod
    A. Opened File 1, Append file 2
    B. Set audio / video to direct stream
    C. Used StreamList to extact ac3 file from the appended movies (dont have to save them together or anything I dont think; just save the extracked ac3)

2. Used Besliced -- Fix file
    A. Drag / Drop ac3 file from the appended movies

3. Used Besweet (Question: Do I need to have the correct location of like the azid.exe and wav location and stuff under that setup part, cause I dont have it set correctly but I dont really have that program so I cant change it)

A. Set to mp3 for Avi profile
    B. Changed Dynamic compression to heavy and normalize to 100% (azid tab)
    C. Changed Bit Rate to 160 from 128 (lame 1 tab)
    D. Clicked Ac3 to Mp3 in Besweet to convert

4. Used Nandub
    A. Open file 1 append file 2
    B. Set to direct stream for audio / video
    c. click on mp3 (vbr) in audio tab - select mp3 file outputed from Besweet
    D. Chance the interlacing setting to 1200ms (The audio was way early when I got the avi to the archos)
    E. Save f7

Well after all that I got an avi that was Divx / Xvid with mp3 audio. It played wonderfully on the computer, connected up the archos and it went over well, and played perfect there as well; after I figured out that I needed to reencode the audio with a 1200ms delay.

However, I did this exact same process to a different movie, the exact same process. Got no errors from any of the conversions and it played wonderfully on the computer. BUT, when I uploaded it the archos av420 and tried to play it, the errors pops up showing "cannot play video; Please check". Well this has happen to the other 2 movies Ive tried.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why i get this error on the archos, and what I can do to fix the file?

Thanks,
    SurferM

2. geshtasp

geshtasp Member

Hi,

I have the AV480 (80 G) and a large XVID collection. I used the Riverpast's Video Cleaner to convert them from XVID to DIVx. Make sure that in your computer you the following free software installed:

- XVID Codec
    - DIVx's latest Codec
    - Lame MP3 Encoder

Make sure that Audio is no more than 128 bit rate CBR. Divx with the VBR Audio will be out of sync in Archos.

You can try the software at :

http://www.riverpast.com/en/prod/videocleaner/index.php

Tutorials are at:

http://www.riverpast.com/en/support/tutorials/convert/xvid/divx.php

I had used the same steps, but instead I converted my XVID to AVI and then used AutoGK to covert it back to DIVx. AVI is huge, I have 3T Byte of storage available by my Video server, but the steps and sizes are quite unreasonable. So try the Riverpast.

Cheers,

3. SurferM

SurferM Member

Hi,

Thanks, hopefully that will work great... Just one questoin how do I make sure the audio is CBR??? Under the audio setting there is compressor, Stereo/Mono, Sample rate, and bit rate... Where do I make sure its a cbr??

Thanks

4. SurferM

SurferM Member

Is it in the video settings advanced menu??

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  5. cobruh2k

cobruh2k Member

I'm reading this thread with great interest as I'm seriously contemplating buying an Archos AV420. Glad to see someone is posting additional info that the Archos fails to tell people, like it will play Divx/Xvid but only if the audio is MP3 with CBR. That's great information, thanks a bunch SurferM.

My dilemma. First of all, I'm fair PC literate, but when I read all the info here regarding using GKnot and all the other utilities, my brain freezes. Ok - I have Divx movies ripped/encoded from the original DVD with AC3 audio. According to gestaph, all I would need to do is use Lame MP3 Encoder to convert the AC3 audio to MP3, and I would be good to go? Sorry if this question is redundant, but I want to make sure. Also, is there any software that could perform all these functions - rip/encode DVDs to Divx with MP3 audio?

6. geshtasp

geshtasp Member

SurferM and Cobrah2k,

SurferM, great question. This software, Riverpast does not allow us to set the CBR/VBR for the conversion. I guess the default has to be the CBR. I will dig into it to see why it is not highlighted, If you experienc a problem, please let me know and I'll happy to assist.

Cobra2k,

I am an advance PC user, but 2 years ago I found out that when it comes to Video Formats, transports and streams, I was as dumb as they come!!!!
    So, I did a lots of reading and experimenting. I also like to get a straight answer and not a large responde based on many steps to do a task. Therfore, I'll be right to the point here:

- DVD to DIVx
    - Pay software (Dr DIVx), very simple to use or customize

- Free software (AUTOGK (www.doom9.org)), make sure you download the full set with VirtualDub and .... already included, very simple to set and use

Both programs use some type of MP3 Encoder and they allow you to set them (use no more than 128 bitrate for ARCHOS movies)

Please be warned that you need to rip your DVD into IFO not ISO.

In Dr DIVx make sure, you listen to the audio stream first, since it might be the AC3 with directors' comment! (you can select the different Audio Streams)

Archos AV420/480, I have the AV480, it is a great PVP that can play MP3 in VBR and CBR. But for movies, only DIVx with MP3 CBR. It has been a great buy, service and support from Archos sucks!

AC3 is useless for the Archos, but DIVx can use the AC3. DR DIVx allows you to select the AC3 output for your files. Dr Divx is 1.5time faster than AUTOGK.

I have other guides for AV480 here.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1/100294#650855

Cheers,

7. cobruh2k

cobruh2k Member

Great info, thanks so much. I have no problem paying for software if it will make my job easier. During my many searches, I did take a look at Dr. Divx, so I'm glad to see that it will allow me to encode the audio so that the Archos will play it properly. I assume when you said:

you were referring to the freeware, because I recall reading that Dr. Divx will encode directly from the source DVD or the ripped VOB files (which are the formats I would encode to Divx from)?

8. geshtasp

geshtasp Member

Cobrah2k, (Cool name, Dude)

Dr DIVx allows complete control over your video and audio output. It claims that it can decode directly from DVD, but this is not true. It can not break CSS or Macrovision and it does not read ISO.

However, It does read VOBs, VOBs are only visible to the software when it reads the DVD's File structure. Rip a DVD (DVD Decrypter (doom9.org)) into IFO files. If you rip it into ISO mode, then you can use virtual drives to access them as you know.

DVD Decryptor (Freeware) is great and removes all protection specially some newer ones that has started to appear in some DVDs.

You can also use the SmartRipper (Freeware). If you want to directly load your DVD (Daemon Tool/Alchohol 120). Then use the Xilisoft DVD Ripper.

http://www.xilisoft.com/

I have used both but I still Dr Divx better. I guess as a geek I like to have many options to play with!

Cheers,

9. cobruh2k

cobruh2k Member

Hey geshtap (no "o"? I guess that might be politically insensitive)

So now I'm a little more confused. Based on what you said, is it ok to have VOBs for Dr. Divx to encode, or should the DVD be ripped to IFOs? I already use both Decrypter and DVD Shrink and have to this point ripped to VOBs for subsequently burning to a DVD. This is my first venture into the realm of AVI/Divx.

Sounds like Xilisoft is another software alternative that does it all?

Another question. As the Archos web site says the AV420/480 will play MPEG4s with MP3 audio, several of the software programs out there will give you an output choice of AVI(Divx, Xvid..) or MPEG4. Assuming the MPEG4 audio output is MP3, couldn't one just use that?

BTW, I have a program called PocketDVD that I use for my Palm that essentially is a very simplified piece of software that rips a DVD to Divx/Xvid so I can view it on my Palm. It doesn't have too many options, but works well, is fairly idiot proof, and can encode a full length DVD in about 1 hour. The resulting file also plays very well on my PCs using a Divx/Xvid player. After reading your posts, I looked more closely at this software and the output file. When configuring the output settings, it gives me a choice of 6 bitrates to choose from, ranging from 24kbs to 128kbs with joint stereo, and I can choose my codec. The resulting output audio format is MP3. Can I assume the bit rate is constant? If so, then the files should be playable on the Archos, right? If your answer to this question is yes, is there a way I could send you a small clip to see if it plays on your Archos?

Ok, one more question. In this software, the default codec is WMV. Does this do me any good?

Thanks in advance for listening to me go on and on....

- All that does not kill you only makes you stronger -

10. geshtasp

geshtasp Member

Cobrah2K,

Great questions and oberservations. I sorry to confuse you. If you insert the DVD into your PC, or load the ISO using Virtual Drive. The DVD Decoder will essentially access the Video_TS and Audio_TS and see the VOBs, BUF and IFOs. I guess that since the Dr DIVx can not process the ISO, It is asking for IFO mode. Difference between the 2 modes is very basic, ISO is a wrapper for the IFO mode. Or in another word, IFO is expanded ISO.

I also use the DVD Shrink to fit my DVD, All the DVD copy software use the ISO or image.

However, Dr DIVx looks for VOBs under VIDEO_TS and it processes the IFO to find the Audio 0x80 (AC3, Eng) stream.

I am sorry, I can not do a better job simplifing the lingo. So the process will work as such:

- Rip DVD to PC (IFO)
    - Dr Divx 1.06 (1.05 has a bug related to 2nd pass)

You can also use the AutoGK is a basically like Dr Divx with less custom option.

I have a PocketPC and funny that I also use the PocketDVD (Japanese Company!). I agree with you on its simple operation, it is awsome. But the Video is in WMV-9 and Audio is MP3. It also works great for me except for lack of space on my DELL X50v. The process takes about an hour. Here is the reason for that:

- WMV-9 is optimized for PC Processing and it uses the MMX extension. It lacks the Motion Estimation capability of DIVx and XVID. But frankly, I can not tell the difference in a small screen, but I play it in my EDTV (Cheap HDTV). It looks awfull for anything with lots of motion. DIVx and XVID use more complex algorithm to process the video, the conversion is not optimized for PC or any other general propose Processors. That is why, it take 4-8 hours for a 2 hour movie. But if you use the Archos's own encoder, the process is as long as the movie itself (real time processing)

- Archos plays only DIVx with max bit rate of 2.5Mb/s.
    - It does not and can not play XVID or WMV. Ironic that it can play the WMA (Audio). Therefore I have tried to play my PocketPC WMV in Archos, No luck ;-(
    - Archos is using a version of Mobile Linux for OS, I am thinking about developing code for it to play WMV-9. But at this no time for it!

Just an FYI, MPEG-4 is often misused and very confusing. If you want a quick information, I will be happy to explain WMV, QuickTime, RM, DIVx, XVID, H.263 and H.264.

Cheers,

11. SurferM

SurferM Member

I was just curious about the xvid deal. You noted that the archos's wont play xvid. I do believe they do play xvid, as actully when you record directly with the archos it enocdes in xvid. Also Ive used that program you suggested, works great btw, to reencode the xvid to xvid only with the different audio options and it works great.

~Surfermatti

12. cobruh2k

cobruh2k Member

geshtasp,

thanks again for the info, especially about PocketDVD. I do have one more question. You mentioned that the video output from PocketDVD is WMV. In the primary settings screen, the default codec is WMV, but I've installed both Divx and Xvid, and have used both for PocketDVD to encode my movies. The resulting file properties under video show the Divx/Xvid codec, not WMV. So now I'm confused since you said that the Pocket DVD video output is WMV. I guess I'm not seeing the relationship between WMV and Divx. Both are forms of video compression, right?

Also, I would love to take you up on your offer to explain what you have offered to explain. BTW, just curious where you are from.

13. cobruh2k

cobruh2k Member

14. geshtasp

geshtasp Member

Cobruh2k,

Regarding PocketPC, you are absolutely right. I check it again and it does allow the DIVX and XVID Encoding. I apprecaite you correcting my mistake.
    Now, I will try to use it to encode my DVD and check the quality. I hope that it will be as good as the Dr DIVx.

The MPEG-4 (H.263) comes is 2 forms of SP (Simple Profile) and ASP (Advance Simple Profile). WMV, Quicktime, DIVx and XVID are all subsets of this format. SP does not include Motion Estimation and therefore is not good for action movies, sports and such. ASP with Motion Estimation (ME) is closer to MPEG-2 in high bit rate and therefore can be used to watch everything. That is why you see multiple options in these codecs. Whenever a codec does more than 1 pass, it is doing it for the ME calculation. So if you leave your DIVx in 1 pass mode, you are using the SP mode. Now, in smaller screen size the motion might not be as crtical as a bigger screen, therefore it is fine for PVP, PDAs and Cell phones.

Where am I from? USA, but from my nick name if you are history buff, you could find out that I am persian. By the way, I can not wait for Alexander movie. I just hope that Persians are not shown as savages!!

Before I forget, Thanks for the links for the new PVP. It looks awsome, actually a lot better than my AV480, may be I could pursue my wife to surproze me for XMASS!! Highly unlikely ;-(

But I like the design and Video Spec, It can play WMV, DIVX and Quick Time. I am kinda disappointed at limited 20G storage. If I was in market for AV420. It will be very tempting.

How did you find this PVP? I had never heard of the company!!

15. cobruh2k

cobruh2k Member

Hello geshtasp,

Glad to be of service. Please let me know if your Archos will play the PocketDVD Divx/Xvid video; I will be very curious to know. Also, many thanks for the info on MPEG4; now it makes sense to me!

Regarding that new PVP that I told you about. I did a little more research, and besides the fact that it only has a 20gb drive, the battery life is rather low (2.5 hours) and it is not removeable/replaceable, so that's a big negative for me, as $599 is a lot of money to spend on something that has a battery that could die. Being able to have a second battery like the Archos does is a big advantage for me.

I found the PVP on this web site: http://www.i4u.com/
    It's my favorite site, and has new stuff everyday! Your wife will probably hate you for looking at it because it has all the latest and coolest gadgets from around the world.

So I still I am still kind of torn between it and the Archos. I like the fact that this new PVP-Pod can record directly from a DVD and remove the CSS, which I understand the Archos does not. But, if your Archos can play the PocketDVD videos, then that may help me with my decision.

I don't know that much about the Persian culture, but I know that they aren't the savages that the movies portray them to be...LOL..quite the opposite, as a culture they were quite civilized and brought a lot to the world.

Me, I live out here in sunny California..

Waiting to hear from you....

Take care

Oops, one more question. When you mention that I need to rip a DVD to IFOs so that Dr. Divx can read them from the VIDEO_TS folder, do you mean select the IFO mode in Decrypter? When I rip a DVD using Shrink, it creates the VIDEO_TS folder with the IFOs, VOBs, and BUPs so wouldn't this work?

16. HomerCSM

HomerCSM Member

I was wondering if anyone could help me on reencoding my divx files. I see people posting about how they ripped their dvds but i already have divx and xvid files that play great on the computer but have the audio sync problem when on my archos. i used river past video cleaner and it worked for some of my video files but others it will just produce a very small file and stop encoding. I was wondering if there was another software i could use or something. thanks

17. abhim89

abhim89 Guest

HOMERCSP,

In regards to your desync problem, the most likely reason is that though the videos on your computer play normally, their audio streams most likely have errors. First off, download VirtualDub, which is a powerful and widely used utility for working with avis. doom9.net has an excellent guide on virutaldub.

Open the file with virtualdub. Judging by your problem, I think you will get an error that there is an improper vbr encoding (or something like that). Also, I think that the beginning of your video file has the corruption. To solve this, simply remove aproximately a couple of frames from the beginning by going to video>select range. In the start offset under time(ms) enter 20. Now save the avi file and it should work (it did for me)

18. superkal1

superkal1 Member

Hi

I bought the Archos AV420 and was having audio sync problems as well. I was trying all the suggestions that everyone had and none of them worked. I finally figured out how to get it to work.

I used the following steps:
    1)I opened the original avi file (around 350MG) in virtual dub and got the pop up message that "VirtualDub has detected an improper VBR audio encoding in the source AVI file and will rewrite the audio header with standard CBR values during processing for better compatibility. This may introduce up to 7660ms of skew from the video stream. If this is unacceptable, decompress the *entire* audio stream to an uncompressed WAV file and recompress with a constant bitrate encoder. (bitrate: 128.2 +- 17.9 kbps" I click okay.

2) select audio -> full processing mode
    3) select audio -> source audio
    4) select audio -> conversion and select 44100HZ
    5) select file -> save wav.
    6) Once wav file is saved, (around 400MG) select audio direct stream copy
    7) select audio -> wav audio and select the wav you just saved
    8) select video -> compression and select xvid MPEG-4 Codec
    9) select file -> save as avi. New file is created about 700MG.

Load it up on the archos and it works fine. Only problem is that the file is now double the size

19. superkal1

superkal1 Member

Hi

From my previous post, I have tried to use VirtualDub to compress audio, using MP3, 128 and it keeps freezing witht the error "Dub: Processing thread has not cycled for ten seconds -- possible livelock"

Any ideas on how to get rid of this. It happens to all the files I try to compress the audio for.

Thanks

20. Aznxmel

Aznxmel Guest

My question is this whoever has the 420 how many movies can you fit on this thing? The 480 is great but it is far too exspenive for my budget. I just want to make sure if the 420 holds enough then i will bite the bullet and pay for this one.