1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xvid - Divx to Archos av400 av420 Need Help + AC3 to Mp3 Guide / Help

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by SurferM, Oct 28, 2004.

1. superkal1

superkal1 Member

The AV420 has 20Gig space. A normal movie is around 700Meg compressed or 1.4Gig with the audio not compressed or taped throught the AV420. So you can fit anywhere from 30hours to 80hours depending on your compression. Pretty good considering you only need to store on the device what you are going to watch. No point of spending the extra money for a 80Gig drive. If you run out of space, delete something that you have already watched.

2. meggyloo

meggyloo Member

i have the archos av320

and it wont play any xvids how can i change a xvid to divx with out the audio being out of sync

3. avirex11

avirex11 Member

I HAVE THE ARCHOS AV480 BUT I ALSO HAVE A MAC COMPUTER. I AM NOT THAT GREAT WHEN IT COMES TO COMPUTERS BUT I NOTICED THAT MOST OF THE HELP AND SOFTWARE FOR DIVX ENCODING IS FOR PC. IS THERE ANY STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS FOR DOING THIS WITH MACS? I HAVE A TON OF MOVIES THAT I WANT TO BE ABLE TO WATCH ON MY COMPUTER BUT THEY ARE ALL MPEG'S. I HAVE THE DIVX PRO BUT I DONT HAVE THE SLIGHTEST CLUE ON WHAT TO DO WITH IT. PLEASE HELP BECAUSE ARCHOS'S TECH SUPPORT SUCKS!

4. nag1_uk

nag1_uk Member

I have an AV420 but have a problem with the sound sync on playback on the pc!
    I recorded a file off the tv and it plays back fine on the 420 but the sound goes out of sync when playing the file on the pc. Do I need a different codec?

Thanks

Mike

5. geshtasp

geshtasp Member

Please check this link for more information regarding Video Encoding for Archos.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/100294

We have posted a lots of information that will be usefull to you all.

[bold]Converting Xvid to Divx? [/bold]

If you older Xvid movie does not play in your Archos, you can use the Dr Divx.

If you do not want to pay $29, then:
    - use VirtualDub to convert it to AVI,Then
    - use the AUTOGK to convert the AVI to Divx

Please be warned that AVI will take a very large space and you will furthur have problem with OS other than Window XP.

[bold] Mac Support [\bold]

I am looking into it

cheers,

6. Bat_man

Bat_man Member

Hi,i recently bought a new AV420 and im havin real problems converting my dvds...at the minute its taking me approx 10 hrs to get 1 dvd converted! Also,is there an easy way to convert videos of different formats on your PC to put on the AV420?

I need help fast,its driving me crazy!

7. geshtasp

geshtasp Member

Bat-man,

Help is one the way. I have done this many times. For this work you need the following:

- DVD Decrypter
    - AUTO GK (Complete)
    - Lame Encoder for Audio
    - Divx Codec for Video

you can download them all from:

http://www.doom9.org/

Follow the steps carefully, Audio is very important, it needs to be 128K and CBR.

Now Relax and just follow my steps:

[bold]DVD to Archos [/bold]

You need DVD Decrypter and AutoGK (www.doom9.org)

- Rip your DVD to IFO format (use dvddecrypter)
    + Set it to read your video files IFO (Convert DVD
    to IFO using the DVD Drycpter (doom9.org))
    + Set the Output to the desired location

Start AUTOGK

+ Set the input file (under Video_TS generated by the DVD Decrypter)

+ Set the output file by naming it, put it above VIDEO_TS directory so you can find the encoded DIVx files later

+ Set it for DIVx Encode
    + 2CD mode
    + Set your screen no larger than 480
    + Press "Advance Mode", Set Audio to 128 and CBR
    + Add File
    + Start Conversion

It will generate 3 AVI files and put them in the directory you have targeted (pay attention to output file location in the AutoGK Setup screen)
    This takes 4-6 hours for a 2 hour movie.

At the end, you can move the video file that are generated by AUTOGK into your Archos, open a drink and enjoy.

Other people and I have some great information for Archos Video Novices here:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/100294#704419

Cheers,

8. shoook

shoook Member

Okay I'm new to all this and I just bought my AV420. I would like to understand exactly, step-by-step how to get the standard avi divx/xvid movies onto the AV420. I've seen all the posts, but for a noob like myself it is very confusing. Also I've heard there is a patch for Windows iTunes which makes it compatible with the Archos, making iTunes think the AV400 is an iPod, does anyone know anything about this? Thank you for all your help.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2004
  9. Yunie-Kun

Yunie-Kun Member

Hi, I can get some of my anime to work, but when I tried my .hack//SIGN Series, after putting video to direct stream and audio was already set there, the output video doesn't move, what do I have to change to make it so that it does? When I try to compress I get an error and VirtualDub crashes.

10. mastreb

mastreb Member

How to transcode DVD to Divx for Archos using a Macintosh

Basic setup steps:

Install a Divx (MPEG-4) CODEC for Quicktime so you can preview on your mac. I used Divx5.21 from http://www.divxmovies.com/codec/. Just run the installer and you’ll be able to preview Divx transcodes in the Quicktime player on your Mac.

Download a DVD decrypter and an MPEG transcoder. I use Handbrake, which is free, open source, vastly easier to use than ffmpegX, and performs the decrypt and transcode in one step. Download it from http://handbrake.m0k.org/

Now you’re ready to begin.

Firstly, insert your DVD. Quit out of the DVD player when it starts if it starts automatically.

Launch Handbrake. The default location of /dev/rdisk1 is the UNIX name for the DVD-ROM drive and is correct (unless you have more than one DVD drive) so just click the Open button. If for some reason you’ve already decrypted the files onto your hard disk using DVD Backup or some similar decrypter (and you haven’t just copied the VideoTS folder—that won’t work with discs you didn’t burn yourself), then select the location of the VideoTS folder on your hard disk instead of /dev/rdisk1 and then click Open. Handbrake will scan the disk and look for the actual movie VOB files (ignoring things like menu sequences and preview trailers).

When the Handbrake selection panel appears, Choose the Output Format “AVI file / MPEG-4 video / MP3 Audio”—the Archos cannot play any other format, so if you make this selection incorrectly, your movie will have no sound on the Archos.

Don’t bother changing the name of the movie.avi file yet—you’ll have to change it again in the last step anyway. I just accept the default location of the desktop for the output location and move the file when I’m finished. You also don’t need to worry about the codec choice—both are compatible with the Archos. Ffmpeg is (much) faster, Xvid produces (slightly) smaller files.

If you aren’t concerned about time, check 2-pass encoding. It takes about twice as long, but you get a higher quality movie that won’t have the blocky pixilation effect during fast motion. You’ll want to do this for any action movie, but it is not really necessary for movies with a plot.

Click Crop & Scale. In the resulting dialog box with a screen shot, click the down arrow on Picture Width until it reaches 320. This is the width of the Archos screen—larger sizes produce no better playback but make larger resulting files. If you’re transcoding the file to be played on computer screens or large screen televisions, you’ll probably want to go with a Picture Width of 640. Click close when you’re finished.

Click RIP and go eat dinner, do the laundry, take a shower, or watch three episodes of Gilligan’s Island (the original, not the reality show). When you’re done, you’ll have an AVI file that’s almost ready to go. My G4 1.3Mhz rips video at about 1x, so transcoding takes just about as long as the movie would take to watch. Oddly, my 2.6Mhz Pentium 4 with the sme codecs and VirtualDub is slower.

When Handbrake is finished, you’ll have an AVI file that will play perfectly in QuickTime on your Mac, but will have an annoying 2-second sync problem between the audio and the video. This is caused by a firmware bug in the Archos that improperly fails to recognize two seconds of missing video at the beginning of most commercial DVDs, so it begins playing the video and audio streams simultaneously. Fortunately, this asynchrony problem is at the very beginning of the file, so all you need to do is use an AVI splitter to cut off 5 seconds or so of the beginning of the file and you’ve worked around the problem.

I use Explicit (from http://sveinbjorn.vefsyn.is/explicit ) which does the job nicely. Just launch Explicit, drag the AVI file onto the dialog box, Set the edit time to 00:00:05 seconds and click Split. I actually splice off the studio colophons to make the movie take the least possible amount of space, but you may like that stuff. It doesn’t matter how much of the beginning of the file that you slice off, as long as it’s more than three seconds. The “movie part 2.avi” is the one you keep (throw away Part 1—it’s the few seconds you sliced off). Rename the file to match the movie title.

Now just plug in your Archos, browse to the Video folder, and copy the AVI in. Have fun!

11. mastreb

mastreb Member

Easy solution to Archos audio sync problem

The audio sync problem on the Archos is caused by firmware that fails to recognize two seconds of initial video that is blank.

To fix the problem and get perfect audio and video sync from DVD transcodes on your Archos (using any tools) just use an AVI splitter to slice off the first five seconds of any existing AVI with the sync problem.

12. oibiker

oibiker Guest

I'd like to really thank you mastreb for answering the question I've asked a few times on here but never got the answer. My divx files now play perfectly after I downloaded Explicit and did what you said. I can now fully enjoy my Archos. Cheers mate.

13. jsharper

jsharper Member

mastreb,
    I've tried using a couple of AVI Splitter apps to chop off the first 5 seconds, but I still get the audio being 2 seconds ahead on the AV420. Which specific AVI Splitting app have you had success with?

Edit: fixed malformed quote tags.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  14. diseased1

diseased1 Member

Why isn't there a simple way to get video files from the internet to work without the sync problem?? I downloaded the latest firmware and tried using virtual dube (which takes too long).

Isn't there some sort of easy fast way to get the files working?

15. Bat_man

Bat_man Member

Man, thats what ive bin asking for the last month,lol! At first it was takin me aprox. 10hrs to get a dvd coded+transferred before these guys helped!

16. diseased1

diseased1 Member

the only way ive found so far that works %100 is to use river past but that takes 30minutes for 350mb file :(

17. Bat_man

Bat_man Member

What does it work for? Ive got loads of vid files i wana convert but when i try to use auto gk it comes up with an error for a bad index file and stops almost immediately! Where didya get river past and how do you use it?

Thanx

18. diseased1

diseased1 Member

ive been using it strictly for xvid tv eps from bittorrent sites. ive found that i had to to keep audio it rate at 112 or less for file to be convwerted. vid bit rate ive kept the same but converted to divx.

19. pao_pao3

pao_pao3 Member

Hi geshtasp! I just would like to ask where you got the information regarding DivX / XviD encoded videos with VBR audio. I read your message and tried extracting the audio of my video file in my PC and saved it as a wave file using VirtualDub. I then encoded the video in TMPGEncoder, making sure that the wave file I saved was the audio source in the project wizard. The finished file was working OK. I tried previous techniques in encoding the video, but all the encoded videos had audio synchronization problems! When I read your message that stated that DivX videos with VBR audio would play out of sync, I finally understood the whole mess :) Thanks.

20. geshtasp

geshtasp Member

pao_pao3,

I am an amature video and audio. I have also read a lot about video formats, streams and how they sync with Audio. For my Archos, I was completely stomped, since the Audio specification said that it can play the MP3 in both VBR and CBR. But it did not say that decoder needs the audio stream in CBR. Thanks to one of the readers of this forum. I tried the CBR mode, and it worked. You do not need to go through such long process to convert VBR tp CBR.
    Simply get hold of Dr Divx 1.5, read in the target video file and choose the CBR option in its Advance option menu. Remeber that the same software will convert WMP-9/10, other AVI, MPEG to DIVX with great efficiency. No People, I do not work for DIVx. But I have tried a lots of video converter out there, they suck! They only good one is Dr Divx and AutoGK (Freeware).

I hate long steps in conversions, I usually write scripts for that , but that is not the best way.

So choose the easiest path and you shall even convert AC3 type DIVx/XVID to CBR using Dr DIVx.