1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XviD file - Video & Audio out of sync

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by mikeeagle, Apr 4, 2005.

1. mikeeagle

mikeeagle Member

Hi there,

I have two XviD files where the video is running ahead of the audio. I have the feeling it gets worse towards the end of the file.
    VirtualDub tells me:
    Video Stream - Data Rate : 1200 kbps (0,40 % overhead)
    Audio Stream - Data Rate : 160 kbps (2,91 % overhead)

Is that where the problem is?

Thanks

2. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

3. mikeeagle

mikeeagle Member

@ venomX05:

I would just like to fix the audio and keep it a XviD file since I have a DVD Player that plays DivX and XviD.
    Is there a way without having to reencode the files and just get the audio right?

4. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Well, not if it won't help sync his MPEG4, it won't LoL :^)
    To resynch the XviD, you need to open it in NanDub.
    Set both A & V to 'direct stream copy', then advance or retard the audio relative to the video to achieve sync at the beginning of the XviD.
    If the sync wanders away as the XviD progresses, you must adjust the video framerate to achieve sync at the end of the XviD.
    If you are sync'd at the start, and at the end, and the sync wanders around in the middle of the program, you're bunned ;^(
    Ask back here if you have any problems.
    Regards

5. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

A suggestion, but this is a thing I never do (my DVD player doesn't play AVIs):
    1) create a 'mute' AVI file loading that AVI with VirtualDubMod, choose Video__Direct Stream Copy, do Stream__Stream list___Disable and save (F7) the file
    2) extract the sound as uncompressed WAV from the original AVI with VirtualDub: open it with EAC (Exact Audio Copy) and do Tools__Process WAV.
    After, load the BIG WAV fie with Exact Audio Copy (EAC). Select Tools__Process WAV and load the big uncompressed file you made. If you cannot open it there is a trick: convert AVI --> MPG with TMPGenc and load the TMPGenc's output (made even with motion screen precision__lowest quality [very fast]), instead. Make the WAV extrection from this file, instead of the input AVI. Now you can load the WAV file, I hope (EAC: Tools__Process WAV). From that screen you can cut the file or add silence until, I hope you're able to find the point where it happens, in the un-sync point the audio returns in-sync
    3) add it to the 'mute' Video with VirtualDubMod, opening the 'mute' AVI, doing Stream__Stream list___add the new one (keep Video__Direct Stream Copy, since the video must be kept the same). Make some test of the output movie.
    Once the audio stream has been made correcly, since you'll want a small AVI, and not a file made of 1.2 .WAV audio + AVI video, you can compress the audio, setting, in VirtualDub, Audio__Full processing mode and choosing the settings as explained in http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd2divx_anamorphic.cfm (keep Video__Direct Stream Copy, since the video must be kept the same) and save the corrected file (F7).

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  6. mikeeagle

mikeeagle Member

So, I can't just tell the software to put the audio, lets say 0,5 seconds, ahead and save the whole thing without changing anything else. There's no prog out there that can do that?
    That sounds like some work I'll have to do.

7. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

You could encode the sound file, extracted from the input's movie with VirtualDub(Mod), with BeSweet, setting a 0.5 s delay in the main screen (be careful to use CBR settings in the audio encoding, or the audio won't be compatible to mpeg conversions as I wrote in the descrpition of problem 1) of http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/129217 [VirtualDub and its modifications will give you a warning]); after that, join the MP3 audio to the input's AVI with VirtualDubMod (Stream___Stream List: Disable the old one, Add the new one). Video__Direct Stream Copy and File__Save (F7) it. But you need to test BeSWeet to learn how to use the 'MP3 for AVI' profile (and the Lame's, the codec it uses, settings). But this way is very fast, as you wanted.
    The 0.7b8 version of the BeSweet GUI (associated to v1.29 beta of BeSweet) is more user friendly, if you want to test it and, more important than that, avoids the default sampling with SSRC of the audio stream to 48 kHz leaving it as it is, 44.1 kHz I assume (as it should, since 48 kHz is not (S)VCD compliant).
    Or, if you like it more, you can use HeadAC3he, very good (and free), being careful to choose careful its settings ( 1 - put a delay clicking on the arrow-button which lies under the 'Source File'; 2 - click 'options' twice once you've chosen 'MP3' as output type), so the LAME configuration can be set in Alt CBR (the default configuration is Alt ABR, which means Average Bit Rate, another way to say Variable Bit Rate - VBR) as Preset (which forces the use of CBR mode in the encoding). You can also to change the bitrate (the default AVE is 112 kbps; I suggest you to use 128 kbps, or even more, if the final size doesn't get too large for you). I don't suggest you to use CDEx, as explained in the 'CDEx' step of http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd2divx_anamorphic.cfm , to convert WAV --> MP3, because I don't know if it enables you to insert a delay [I never used it] (CDEx's settings keep the VBR Method disebled, do you see this in the figure which has been put in the guide?).

Last edited: Apr 6, 2005
  8. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Simple.
    Remember 0.5 seconds = 500ms
    Very simple task, 5-minute job - dunno where Aldaco is taking you, LoL :^)

9. Kingd

Kingd Guest

mikeeagle: Your looking to play the files on your standalone? Does the audio sync go bad on the standalone or the computer? If it's just on the PC, you could try to burn it and try the standalone. I'm assuming that you didn't do the encode. If you did do the encoding, then it's likely you have to go through the process described above to get it working properly.

10. mikeeagle

mikeeagle Member

I didn't do the encode. I found out on my standalone.
    I guess, I'll try NanDub first and see how it works.

11. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Never tried Nandub. The_OGS, I was teaching how to create a MP3 file delayed...but Nandub is able to keep the video 'as it is'? Because otherwise you'll lose quality and it's better to use VirtualDubMod set at Video__Direct stream copy, to do Stream___Stream List__Add the new MP3.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2005