1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XVID - How do I do it? Is there a one step process?

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by sirbeamer, Feb 23, 2008.

1. sirbeamer

sirbeamer Member

I am trying to learn the best way to store my video library onto my computer for streaming to my living room. I understand that XVID is pretty good. I want the best resolution to size and have not been able to try the suggested XVID method.

I am looking to buy DVDFAB platinum, but do not see how to do it. Is it capable of it?

TIA,
    Mike

2. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Regular member

are the DVDs you have store bought? or DVDs that are backup from the orginal? is there already backed up you can use dvd decrypter to read them to your HDD . an ISO file is the way to go

DVDFAB platinum, is a good program or you can use freeware there are several options ,read this thread

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/622748

3. sirbeamer

sirbeamer Member

Thanks ZoSoIV,

As I am walking up te Stairway To Heaven... (I figured I would say that, LOL...)

I have been ripping movies for a while. I use DVD decryptor with VTS Fix. I have several movies already extracted (ripped) on my HD, but they take up sooo much room. I also have many backed up onto blanks DVDs to keep the kids from damaging the origonals, but they seem to still leave them lay out all over the place. That is why I am trying to compress many of my movies to either WMV or XVID to stream to the living room. WMVs are OK to view, I can see video glitching occasioally and take a while to create. I am wanting to try XVID to see how they do and length to create.

So the answer is, I have them on my HD, I have them backed up and I have the origonals. Do I need to make a XVID file from a disc?

Thanks,
    Mike

4. olyteddy

olyteddy Regular member

AutoGK or Super can probably do it for you, if you've got the files already on your drive. You may need the extra step of running the VOBs through VOB2MPG to merge them into a continuous file to encode.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  5. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

6. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Regular member

good call pryme_H thats definitely your best option sirbeamer ^^^^^ Led Zeppelin Lives!!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  7. sirbeamer

sirbeamer Member

I finally found how to do it with the DVDFAB link that was just included... THANKS...

Here is another question???

What BITRATE is recommended for a nice quality to have for viewing on a widescreen TV? I have been using around 2000, the link shows 900, but I do not know how well it would be. How much of a difference does it make?

Thanks again...

Mike

8. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

If your goal is size say 700MB, then bitrate is pretty much left intact; because bitrate is dependent on the runtime.

9. sirbeamer

sirbeamer Member

I guess my curiosity is what bitrate will do exactly... I am fine arounf 1.3 to 1.5 Gb, but that is all dependant on the length and resolution of the movie. What will increasing the bitrate do for my quality of playback? Anything much in the mid-range area?

Thanks for all your help...

Mike

10. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Regular member

depends on the TV your watching it on

11. sirbeamer

sirbeamer Member

Let's say my 57" rear projection wide screen Toshiba for the time being.

Would I want a higher bitrate for it? Maybe not? Would I want a higher bitrate for a LCD or Plasma system over a rear projection?

I will try and find info on BITRATE settings, as I do not know exactly what that sets.

Thanks for the help...

Mike

12. sirbeamer

sirbeamer Member

Also, what benefits does the 2nd pass (high quality encoding) do for me. I know it takes 4Xs as long to perform the process, and do not know how much of a difference it makes.

Thanks again,
    Mike

13. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

Excerpted from the DVDFab Platinum guide...