1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xvid is impossible!!!

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Villain, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Villain

Villain Member

Ok, I have read the guides on this site for converting xvid to SVCD. It uses AC3 audio which I converted per the guides instruction to mp2 then tried to encode the video just like it said using VBR and umm ok it says it'll take 5 hours. Fine, I go to bed and wake up but it's frozen at 50%? So now I'm trying CBR which is a more reasonable 2ish hours, but what is the deal? I never had these problems with DivX?! And worse, I read here about CCE using Dvd2svcd... alright I click misc and select AVI following what Dela I think said and try to open the file but get a msg about not having a xvid decoder. Umm riiiight. Too bad I can watch this movie just fine... So I download nics xvid codec.. newest one I could find and install it, but still get the msg. What is up with that? I checked doom9 forums and other resources and they seemed to have similar problem but only had suggestions about getting a different or newest XviD driver, which I tried, and it doesn't work. At all. What am I doing wrong? I've been reading guide after guide and am about to pull my hair out. I now HATE xvid.

2. Villain

Villain Member

Well thanks to Dela in another thread I can now open xvid in dvd2svcd!!! You rule! It's pretty lame that you can have *a* working version that doesn't work in dvd2svcd though. Not especially fun.

3. Villain

Villain Member

CCE has performed an Illegal operation and must shutdown. :( DVD2SCVD must shut down. Do any of these programs actually work......

4. Villain

Villain Member

Well for some reason (even though I'm using CCE 2.5) I had to turn on that safemode crap and it worked.. uh sorta. The sound glitched out but OH WELL CCE didn't crash!

Sorry for spamming this here, but I'm figuring it out as I go.

One question I might find on my own.. what program can I use to merge two large xvid AVI files and will I run into any problems? Yeah right, I mean WHAT problems am I going to run into ;)?

5. Villain

Villain Member

Ok it still won't work. CCE is fine but I get only sound in the mpeg. What is see is something that says: Script Error. Invalid function to "avis... and I can't see the rest. The .bin file was only 100 megs.. meaning there wasn't any video encoded at all! Huh? And I open the xvid file in DVD2SVCD again and click go, then click preview and it says the same thing. Invalid function to 'Avis something. Please help!

6. Messa

Messa Member

i agree, had nothing but trouble since people started distributing in Xvid.

got all the codecs, read all the help, everywhere,ever!

is there no program that can convert an avi to (s)vcd like tmpgenc used to, using all popular codecs of course?

i really like tmpgenc but, well, it just doesn't work anymore.

messa

7. vixnfox

vixnfox Guest

I have no trouble with Xvid and DVD2SVCD, but I generally do it this way.
    Open in VirtualDub_AC3... direct stream the audio to audio.AC3, direct stream the video to video.avi. Convert the AC3 to mp2 (BSweet or Px3), CCE the video (via AVISynth usually) to mv then just mux with TMPG.
    For some reason DVD2SVCD often makes files too big, even tho I use calculated bitrate... dunno why :( ... so this is easier...
    VixnFox