1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xvid is just too big for dvd???? help!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cern, Dec 3, 2003.

1. cern

cern Guest

I've used g-spot to analize the file I want to put on dvd - it tells me size 692meg xvid codec 817kb bitrate 23.97 fps audio is mp3 as mpeg1 layer. I tried using the excellent guide posted here on how to use tempgnc to convert this file but I find that no matter what I do it tells me that this will take 215% of dvd storage space! The only setting that seems to make a diff on final size is the audio bit rate - when I take that all the way down to 64bits it will only take 99.7% of my dvd. Am I missing something here guys? any help would be appreciated. Please note : I am a total noobie to all this dvd stuff, and if it wasn't for the great info here - I might not be this far.

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

Its the mp3 file i think you must make it layer 1 PCM then that should make it smaller!

thx...

3. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

5. cern

cern Guest

I tried adjusting the average video bitrate earlier also - even when turned all the way down to 2000 which seems to be the lowest it will allow me to set it at - it's still way too big for the dvd.

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

its the right way but i think you need to change from mp3 to PCM layer 1 which is alot samller!

now i think you can convert the avi to 2 files with tmpgenc if i remember rightly?

I think its ES vidoe+audio creates 2 files?

Thx...

7. dRD

cern: If the size is too big for a DVD with 2000kbps, the movie simply wont fit to one DVD. Make sure though you really chose DVD as the media size, not a CD or anything like that. At 2000kbps video + 224kbps audio you can fit 4 hours and 33 mins to a DVDR.

8. cern

cern Guest

something has to be wrong then - I made certain that it's set for dvd - the play lenght of the file is 1 hour 40 minutes. Perhaps it is something to do with the audio section - can anyone tell me how to convert the audio stream from mp3 to a more suitable format

9. dRD

Only thing what I can say is that your problem is probably something very trivial and I'm 90% sure that it is the very same page that Rotary took the screenshot of.

Video resolution: 720x480
    Average video bitrate: 2000
    Audio bitrate: 224

DVD-R 4.7

Then the estimated file size and XXX of capacity should automatically show much, much smaller values.

10. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

use the wizard in tmpgenc and select the "MP2" in picture and also the ES (video+audio) it will output 2 files 1 video and audio(wave file now!)

Try this! then load separate files to tmpgenc to create an mpeg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2003
  11. dRD

Rotary: What's the point, PCM takes much, much more space than MP2?

12. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

i thought mp3 was alot bigger than pcm?

sorry if i got it wrong then...

i take it all back...

CONVERT TO MP2 NOT PCM SORRY!_X_X_X_X_X_[small]XP 3000 BARTON! <----- LIKE A ROCKET!!!
    A7V8X SATA150/RAID 2x80 gig [Bios 1013]
    HERCULES 3D PROPHET [9700 Pro]
    XMS CORSAIR PLATINUM PC3500 2x512 1024 meg
    ENERMAX PSU 550watts
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2003
  13. cern

cern Guest

I've followed everyones instructions and seen no changes in my probalems. I've checked and double checked and I seem to have everything set right, however - I HAVE found an anomaly that may give us a clue - gspot reports file lenght as 1:40 minutes - this is correct. TMPGENC reports file lenght as 278 minutes!!! Does this point to a specific problem?

14. dRD

Ah, this points to a problem very specifically. I don't seriously know what might cause this, but I would probably try to change the default decoding codec for the video first and see if that helps.

15. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi cern!

load the app up and get as much detail in on the desktop and take a snap shot by pressing print screen on keyboard open paint and paste it in there and save as file! lets all have a look at it! save as a .GIF its smaller!

if you dont have upload site email to me - pm me!

btw i have just done 2X 800 meg .DAT to .MPEG in tmpgencd for find nemo! same thing!

thx

edit

load into AVIcodec for a look inside the file!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2003
  16. cern

cern Guest

ok, I think I've figured it out - I tried loading the file into virtualdub 1.5.10 and got this error msg ----

"virtualdub has detected an improper vbr encoding in the source file and will rewrite the audio header with standard CBR values for better compatibility. This may introduce up to 20328ms of skew from the video stream....."

sooooo - what now guys? And BTW thanks for all the help!

17. dRD

I would probably use VirtualDubMod to extract the audio from the AVI file into separate file and save the AVI without the audio to a new file as well. Then use the video-only file as your input file to TMPGEnc, encode audio separately to MP2 with BeSweet and join the encoded MPEG-2 video and MP2 audio together with TMPGEnc's MPEG Tools multiplexing.

18. cern

cern Guest

wow - It appears that my first DVD is going to be a real 'trial by fire' lol - oh well no better way to learn than by tackling a tough project with limited knowledge. I'm trying now to do what you suggested with virtualdubmod - I'm sure I'll figure out how to use this program soon - haha

19. dRD

The guide on our pages for extracting AC3 audio from AVI applies pretty well for other types of audio as well, so that should be your first step.

Then, converting the MP3 audio to MP2 can be done in various ways -- in any case, you need to download a software called tooLame from our site, which is a freeware MP2 encoder. I don't remember whether it accepts MP3 input or not -- if it doesn't, you need to first convert your MP3 to WAV (can be done with various tools, including CDEx which is freeware CD ripper/MP3 encoder and can be found from our site as well) and then encode that WAV to MP2 with tooLame.

And yes, I'm sorry for the trouble, but as you said, problems and overcoming the problems are the best way to learn this stuff :)

20. cern

cern Guest

Guides :) Love those guides. Actually had found that one and I'm currently extracting the audio. Still not sure how to extract thw video w/o sound however.