1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xvid is just too big for dvd???? help!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cern, Dec 3, 2003.

1. cern

cern Guest

ok - got the video and audio seperated. Got the audio converted to .wav however after a long time fiddling with besweet and using the gui I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get this wav converted to mp2. I have found guides that show how to convert ac3 to mp2 but no luck on what I need to do. BeSweet is pretty daunting anyone give any input on this ?

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Depending on the audio you have and its frequency -- whether it is 44.1kHz or 48kHz -- you need to have either one or two additional tools to be added to BeSweetGUI. If the audio is in 44.1kHz, you need to have SSRC and tooLame. If it is in 48kHz (the frequency of DVD-Video audio -- you can find out the frequency by various means, I think even a right-click + properties in Windows tells you the frequency of the audio file), you need only the tooLame. Download them, copy the files somewhere from the packages, go to the BeSweetGUI's setup and in the list where there are listed tons of tools, including tooLame and SSRC, click the box next to these two and locate the toolame.exe and ssrc.exe.

After you've done this, you should be able to see a button called WAV to MP2 in the list of selections in the BeSweetGUI's main window. Then you need to select somewhere in the BSG -- don't remember exactly where and don't have BSG installed here -- the bitrate for the output MP2, normally 224kbps is a good choice, and in case you need to change the audio frequency, the audio frequency to 48000Hz.

We probably need to create couple of more guides ;-)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Petteri Pyyny
    Webmaster
    http://AfterDawn.com/

Please read our guides before posting questions! Guides are available here:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/[/small]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2003
  3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

wont tmpgenc take the wave and video in on separate files to mpeg?

Thx

4. dRD

Rotary: Yes, it does, but sometimes the VBR-encoded MP3 audio causes the problem that TMPGEnc recognizes the length of the video incorrectly and causes the problem that cern is now experiencing. Thus, removing the audio from the video file and encoding those two separately, should solve the problem.

cern, for saving the video only with VirtualDub, do this:

Load the AVI into VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod, go to Audio menu, select No Audio. Go to Video menu and select Direct Stream Copy. Go to File menu and select Save as AVI and choose a new file name.

5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

i see now, so the wave he now has will still have the vbr error init? so it still needs to be sorted..

i must say he is trying dam hard to get this done - fairplay cern!

good luck....

6. dRD

Ye, the process reminds me couple of years ago trying to figure out the DVD to VCD process which back in those days required jumping through way too many hoops, but I finally figured it out by getting info from tons of sources and coming up with my own method of doing it :)

As said, hats off, once you get this **tch completed, you probably have acquired more video conversion knowledge than most of the Average Joes ever will :)

7. XSmurf

XSmurf Member

This actually sounds very similar to a problem I had with TMPGEnc when trying to encode XviD avi to mpeg-2 for DVD. Basically, I had to manually select the "source range" from the project wizard, and set the start and end frames. Also note, with XviD you may need to go into the VFAPI tab on the options menu and move the DirectShow filter to the top of the priority list or you may get some program lockups / errors (pretty sure this is XviD only though). Good luck =)

8. cern

cern Guest

grrrrr

video extracted!
    audio extracted! :)
    load up trusty old tmpgnc
    point it to the video file
    point it to the audio file
    set all the settings
    press start

windows alarms go off and I get this

"Index of scan line is out of range (320)"

I'm starting to feel like HAL from 2001 space odessy has posessed my computer!!!

9. dRD

10. cern

cern Guest

I really really hate to ask this BUT I'M READY TO PULL MY HAIR OUT. Could you point me in the direction of a guide to show a novice (NOT a noobie anymore) how to frameserve with virtaldub or virtualdubmod to tmpgenc?

Perturbed but not defeated Cern tightens his belt and prepares to journey once again into the convoluted bowels of this odd new world he has discovered. Convinced that there can be but few more obstacles in his way he reaches for a dram of scotch and prepares to journey ever deeper into this foul hell of encoding madness.

11. dRD

12. cern

cern Guest

OK - I can handle the frameserving I think. Am I to understand that I should frameserve the video track that I created that has no audio? How do I go about adding the audio track back in?

I'm so close I can feel it!

13. dRD

Ye, feed the video without audio (well, frameserving doesn't even support audio) to TMPGEnc and add the audio (assuming you've encoded it already to MP2) to the ready MPEG-2 video after the video encoding by multiplexing the .mp2 (audio) and .m2v (video) files together with TMPGEnc's MPEG Tools (i.e. in the main TMPGEnc window, go to File menu and select MPEG Tools -- from that window, go to Simple Multiplexing and select both audio and video streams and click Start).

14. cern

cern Guest

thanks very much guys - I'll begin the frameserving in about 2 hours before I leave for work and then report back at the end of the day!

15. cern

cern Guest

frameserving now - looks like I'll be burning tonight. I feel like I've learned ALOT during this three day adventure

16. cern

cern Guest

can't give up --- I followed all your above instructions - muxxed the audio and video with tmpgenc have one file now that shows no extension - file size is approx 1.7 gig - loaded it into sonicdvd to author and burn - it's STILL too large. Sonic says it requires 6.6 gig on dvd. I insured that when I used tmpgenc I set it to 95% of disk capicity. I think I'm about to forget this entire thing

17. dRD

Now your problem is with SonicDVD -- if the file is 1.7GB, it takes 1.7GB on the DVD. See if there are ways in SonicDVD to say for it "don't re-encode the material" or try using some other DVD authoring tool, like IFOEdit (that we use in our AVI to DVD guide).

18. cern

cern Guest

ifoedit says 'unable to open file for reading'

19. dRD

IFOEdit requires the audio and video to be in separate files, i.e. in demuxed form. If you deleted already the .m2v and .mp2 files, you can split your muxed file back to separate audio and video streams with TMPGEnc's MPEG Tools -- yep, you guessed it: Simple demultiplex.