1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xvid playback on Philips DVP642 player

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Radunn, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Radunn

Radunn Member

Firstly, is this the correct forum for this post? My issue concerns capturing from miniDV camcorder (JVC-GRDV500U) to the harddrive via Windows Movie Maker2.0, encoding with Xvid in Virtualdub, burning to cd/dvd.

Here goes:
    - [bold]Problem[/bold]: Videos encoded with Xvid 1.02 and played back on the DVP642 frequently stutter (especially at motion scenes).
    - [bold] Steps taken[/bold]:
    1. By default Windows Movie Maker's default codec is Mainconcept ProDV for the initial capture with a resolution of 720x480
    2. Virtualdub to edit/encode the video with Xvid.
    3. I burn the Xvid file to DVD... then playback

When the video is played back on the Divx® certified player it stutters and somewhat wavy. The color/audio is intact.

Other encoded Xvid files from my VHS-C camcorder playback flawless. The capturing method allows me to use Huffy 2.1 as the codec that is encoded with Xvid; burnt to DVD/CD; played back. These resolutions are 640x480 (not 720x480).

With uncertainty, I'm narrowing the problem down to either the initial capture codec (from the camcorder - Mainconcept proDV) or the 720x480resolution; I am probably "wrong"

I would appreciate learning some tips on how to eliminate this problem. In advance, thanks.
    Radunn

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Try 1.1.0beta1 with the DXN HT NTSC profile so that VBV is enabled. This will prevent bitrate spikes in high detail, high motion scenes.

3. Radunn

Radunn Member

I could not found this.

Interesting, in Add/Remove Programs were 2 lists of Mainconcept DV codecs (regular/pro versions). I removed the regular version and will try again.
    Radunn

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

You couldn't find 1.1.0beta1 or you couldn't find the profile settings in it?

5. Radunn

Radunn Member

On that page, I could not find either. Does it install into Virtualdub etc.? How does it work? Thanks

6. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

On "that" page? I just checked the "Download XviD codec from here." that got added as related info at the bottom of the post and it does indeed have XviD 1.1.0beta1 (koepi's compile).

As with other XviD releases there is a dshow decoder and a VFW codec which should show up in VDub.

7. Radunn

Radunn Member

Ok, now I understand. I thought the DXN HT profile was a seperate file. I think the problem occurred because 2 versions of the same DV codec were installed. I removed one and it seems fine now.

8. Radunn

Radunn Member

I was wrong. Having removed/reinstalled the DV codec does zilch. I "did" download Keopei's 1.1Beta, installed it and enabled DXN-HT NTSC. Will give it a shot. Thanks