1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xvid to DVD (higher quality)??

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Spunks3, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Spunks3

Spunks3 Regular member

okay, so i have converting my xvid files to DVD using tmpgenc for a while now. now with all these new HDTV's and what not, is ther a way to convert xvids into a higher quality DVD? i meen, the process already takes me 8 to 12 hours so i dont mind waiting longer, its just that dark scenes on the dvd's are blocky and it gets annoying. is avi2dvd better? will it cut off any of the video or leave it the same aspect ratio? i just got a new widescreen samsung HDTV. lemme know :), thanx!

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Wrong forum for MPEG-2 encoding questions, but basically you don't get better quality than your source. You can deblock, but it tends to also remove other details. You can sharpen to enhance details, but it will also increase some artifacts, etc. Like I said the best you can expect is the same quality as your source and since MPEG-2 is lossy you can't even get that.

3. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Moved to correct forum.

As celtic_d said, you can't really improve on the original. All you can do is replace one set of defects with another. The trick is to figure out whether the imperfections you're replacing bother you less than the ones you're creating.

4. Spunks3

Spunks3 Regular member

got ya, i have this converter for my PS3 and it does it in about 3hrs as apposed to 10 and the quality seems to come out much better. im sure after all the authoring and stuff that the quality seems to decrease. anyway, thats for moving to the right forum and thnx for the replies