1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XVID TO MPEG

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Frostbite, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Frostbite

Frostbite Member

Dunno where else to post this but is it possible to convert an xvid to mpeg, tried tempgnc and panasonic and they don't wanna know, anyone have any clues?

Frosty

2. AIDEN

AIDEN Guest

OK MATEY,
    This is what you do, get ya self a copy of virtualdub, load it up click file open, open the xvid file then click on file again and go down to save wav*. give it a destination area and name
    when you have done this load tmpg up, depending on which version you use, im going to assume it fires the wizard up, so choose which mpg you want, now you want to load the settings up and change the vbu buffer size to 0
    and the bitrate should be changed to automatic VBR
    but 2 pass vbr gives you more control over the size of the end file its going to create
    k now go make ya self a coffee
    :)
    good luck buddy

adi

3. Frostbite

Frostbite Member

Thanks 4 the reply.Well I can play this xvid with windows media player but when i try to load it into virtualdub it says i need a vfw or compatable codec, any more ideas coz searches thus far have been fruitles,

Frosty

4. AIDEN

AIDEN Guest

try looking on kazza for the nimo 5.5 codec pack. that will sort it matey

5. Frostbite

Frostbite Member

Got the codec and can convert in virtualdub to wav but where r u goin with this, u say load mpeg with tmpg,which mpeg, the file in question is an xvid and i cant load the wav file so im afraid u lost me

Frosty

6. AIDEN

AIDEN Guest

k in virtual dub load the xvid movie up.
    then click on file again and choose save wav.
    this will save just the audio to the film.
    k when it finished click on audio and choose no audio
    then click on video and make sure its on direct stream
    now click on file again and choose save avi
    this will save just the film with no audio
    when this has finished close it down and open tmpg
    put the video file in its right place and the audio file in its right place.
    when you done that you want to load the settings up within tmpg and unlock the vbu buffer size. changing this to 0. and change the bitrate to automatic vbr,
    thats it just click start, im assuming your naking mpeg2. however if your making mpeg1 then the settings can be left alone

let us know how ya get on matey

7. Frostbite

Frostbite Member

Well it worked,only anomaly was that I had to put it thru tmpg twice b4 easy cd or nero would recognize it as a vcd compatible for burning but so what,

Thanks

Frosty

8. AIDEN

AIDEN Guest

Glad it worked for you frosty :)

aidenmichael711111@msn.com

9. kshark

kshark Member

Hi AIDEN and FROSTBITE,

I read all your messages on converting xvid to mpeg. I tried the way aiden mentioned. However, I ended up with a mpeg with audio only and no video. I downloaded nimo codec 5.0 (the only available one i could find) and it still won't work.
    The avi file produced from virtualdub can be viewed with my divx player but it would be previewed on tmpgenc.

Am I doing something wrong here? or is it something wrong with the software or procedure?
    Please help.
    Thanks