1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xvid - well known green scrambled picture

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by UmmonTL, May 29, 2003.

1. UmmonTL

UmmonTL Guest

Well, I got an Avi File using xvid and ac3 and the picture is mostly green with big blocks and scenes mixed. I found out that this seems to be a common problem thats mostly caused by different versions of xvid that are not compatible. Well I have tried out many codec packs or just the direct downloads without any help. The best result so far was delivered by ffdshow, the colours are normal and at first I thought it worked but suddenly the picture scenes started to mix again. Is there anything else I can do besides trying out different xvid mirrors or can someone post a bigger list of mirrors? (rather no packs because of the size). And could it help to download older versions of codecs (of ffdshow for example) or are the new ones 100% compatible to the older ones?

2. shinnster

shinnster Regular member

this may sound silly but have you installed the nimo codec pack on your machine? If so uninstall it. I was having the same problem until i took that off and the films started to play fine.

3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Make sure you dont keep installing different codecs cause that causes a lot of trouble and especially codec packs!!

Also you mentioned ac3 audio, amke sure you get a good divx ac3 codec, ac3 filters and a good xvid codec and use something reliable (I recomend WinDVD) to play it!

4. UmmonTL

UmmonTL Guest

As I said I always unistalled everything after checking if the avi was still messed up so there shouldn't be conflicts of different codecs.

What would be a "good" ac3/xvid codec? I`ve tried about 7 xvid and 3 ac3 downloads but I didn't find any way to distinguish between those, no different effects and no text telling me if it differs from other xvid codecs. The only different one was ffdshow.
    I'm going to try using different players now, thanks for any further help.

5. Raptorman

Raptorman Guest

6. Dela

I find that if you have the xvid codec, the divx/ac3 codec and ac3 filters it works well!

7. UmmonTL

UmmonTL Guest

Sorry Dela for forcing you to repeat yourself, I kind of overread the divx/ac3 codec part in your first reply.
    I just tried installing xvid or ffdshow together with divX/ac3 codec and ac3 Filter but still no better results. Its hard to find a link for the divX/ac3 codec. I had the impression that the divx/ac3 codec and the xvid codec don't work together, when I installed xvid first, the avi wouldn't play at all. The other way round I get the old result. Are there certain Files that are needed from the one to make the other one work?

Btw I'm using PowerDVD as a player currently so if anybody can tell me if this brings further problems it would be appreciated.

8. Dela

Actually the DivX ac3 codec is what I installed and any xvid with ac3 audio works perfectly for me!! I got mine from eMule, its posted on Sharereactor!

9. UmmonTL

UmmonTL Guest

Yes, I got the same. No it doesn't work. I'll try using another video card driver, is there anything else that could affect the playback?

10. Dela

Mate, I use it so it does work with xvid ac3 files!! I reckon what is wrong here is you have one little annoying codec causing all the problems!!

11. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

He sounds right - if u have a codec problem, uninstall them all in Add/Remove programs and install the newest one

12. Dela

I recommnd the codec from this site (xvid), divx ac3 codec, and good ac3 filters!

13. UmmonTL

UmmonTL Guest

I have formatted my Pc about a month ago and kept track of everything I installed. There are no Codecs installed, just those that I'm testing this video with. And I always reboot after uninstalling one so no traces are left when I install the next.

14. G-0n

G-0n Member

I think you need to install a program called FFDShow, I had the same problem, but by installing this app, the problem was solved.

grtz

15. UmmonTL

UmmonTL Guest

I have as I said above it was the only one with a bit better results namely no green picture but still scrambled.

16. scooby1

scooby1 Guest

I haven't had any problems with the nimo pack...I've played every movie I've tried until recently I've downloaded a few where the video just stops for some reason. I don't know if that's a codec problem or an original recording problem. I did get one movie that seemed to bleed scenes, so I uninstalled the Nimo build and installed a recommended Xvid codec from this page. Movie wouldn't work at all... So I've gone back to the Nimo build and am just trying to download the movie again. I kept the old one in case any one can offer some advise on how to get it to play with the Xvid codec.

17. IMRANmel

IMRANmel Regular member

Last edited: Jul 17, 2003
  18. chico99

chico99 Member

if you are having the "green, blocky" problem after installing the nimo codecs, go into your windows\system32 folder and rename the file "ffdshow.ax" to something like "old_ffdshow.ax" and your movie will work perfect again!

cheers!

19. jacsat08

jacsat08 Guest

I was having the same problems. I tried changing ffdshow.ax to old_ffdshow.ax that was in the windows system folder, as chico99 said. It appears to have worked and I havn't noticed any ill side effects other than media player bombing the first time I ran it. There is probably a better way to uninstall this, but it does appear to work as a quick fix.

20. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

There is an easier way. Uninstall any codec packs you have Nimo maybe, and install the newest version of FFDSHOW.