1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xvid with ac3 to mpg2...

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by stinky2, Feb 3, 2005.

1. stinky2

stinky2 Member

i've got a high quality xvid 960x528 with ac3 sound - but i can't work out how to use tmpgenc to make a high quality mpg2 (to play on my standalone dvd player). so far i've extracted the ac3 sound using virtualdubmod and converted to wav using headAC3he. i then import the xvid into tmpenc and use the wav file for my sound source. this works fine if i use the wizard settings, but as soon as i change the video size to the original 960x528 i'm told that mpg2 can't use the settings. but i really want to keep the widescreen aspect. any help would be muchly appreciated...

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

I can't understand why TMPGenc gives you a problem with video settings. Probably because you tried it to change its resoution to a nr. different from 480x480(576 PAL). Did you? Use the Wizard and then, in the settings, check [bold]motion search precision[/bold] = highest quality; [bold]video arrange method[/bold] = full screen (keep aspect ratio) and set the correct bitrate to have a big bitrate and a dimension of the.mpg which not exceeds 2xCD-R (1600 MB, use FitCD) as written in http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd2svcd_with_tmpgenc.cfm, step [bold]FitCD [/bold].
    Anyway, you can also convert the .AC3 to 'MP2 for SVCD' with BeSweet + the 'downconvert sample rate' checked (48 kHz --> 44.1 kHz); the .MP2 you'll use as 'audio input' in TMPGenc will have great quality and will surely give no problem.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  3. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

So if you have to convert the AC3 to WAV, for use by TMPGEnc's own MP2 encoder, you might as well go ahead and convert (& downsample) using BeSweet while you have it open, is that right?
    Will this be a better-quality MP2 than TMPGEnc makes?
    Does TMPGEnc downsample to 44.1 - is that the SVCD standard then?
    The vid is almost more straightforward; he gets 480x480 but can keep his aspect ratio, should look good...
    That IS a high-rez XviD :) Must be very large, especially if AC3 is 5.1
    Thanks Aldaco