1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

yamaha receiver rx-v1070

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by qur, May 12, 2007.

1. qur

qur Member

i have an old yamaha rx-v1070.does anybody know if i can add subwoofer to it.Also i recently got the dishnetwork hdtv receiver,can i connect this thru receiver and still get high definition tv.The yamaha is not digital dolby and has no hdmi.what would be the best way to connect dvd,tv and other components to this receiver.
    Thanks.

2. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Hello qur ... long time no see! Here is a link to the user manual for your receiver. Unfortunately, I can't read it ... broke my reading glasses and can't see squat up close ... I'm typing from about four feet away so I can read the monitor LOL!

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/av/english/re/RX-V870.pdf

Frankly, I would connect your cable box directly to the TV anyway so that you can watch TV without having to use the amp everytime; a lot of amps don't have a pass through and that amp in particular isn't set up for hi def.

That amp doesn't have a connection for a sub (but I'll taker a close look when I have my glasses, but I don't think so from what little I could see of the specifications) but it doesn't mean you can't use one! Most subs can accomodate either a line input directly from the amp / or you can run the speaker wire from the amp to the sub where a crossover will reroute the very lowest frequencies to the amplifier in the sub and send the rest of the frequencies to the main speakers. You DON'T need two subs for this; one sub will accept both the right and left channels, filter out the deepest frequencies and then route everything else to the proper speaker. Tomorrow, when I can see LOL, I'll post the connections on the back of a sub so I can illustrate what I mean. Hope you are well! ... Gerry

By the way, the v1070 and v870 are the same receiver; one is british the other is the american version of the same receiver.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2007
  3. qur

qur Member

Thanks/would wait for more details.

4. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Hello Qur! I made the following diagram of the connections on your typical subwoofer. Since your yamaha doesn't have a "line out" for a subwoofer, you run the speakers wires to the sub first where in says "IN" and you connect the front speakers to the "OUT" speaker posts to the main speakers. What it will do is remove the lowest frequencies and amplify it and then it will run the rest from the sub to the two front speakers letting you get the bass frequencies at however loud or soft you want them.

[​IMG]

5. qur

qur Member

Thanks a lot gerry1.Sorry I couldnt get back earlier.I understand the connections.You recommended earlier to keep the satellite receiver connection directly to the tv,then how should i connect the tv to the a/v receiver and would the tv programs and movies on tv would have the sound and surround effects if i connect tv directly to the amp.
    thanks.

6. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@qur ... busy day and I'll answer as soon as I can; it's quite easy but I need to take a look at the back of your receiver again. British and American receivers differ some (you are british, right?) Will write back as soon as I can....I hope you're well....Gerry

7. qur

qur Member

no.I am american and its rx-v1070 in america.
    would wait.
    thanks gerry.

8. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Hi Qur! ...I'm afraid I'm having problems finding photos of the back of your Yamaha. I printed the manual but to be frank, the user manual sucks...all the reviews say its a hell of an amp though. I did find out that there is a specific output for a sub though according to the manual ... I don't know whether its an RCA plug like those you'd find to and from your VCR for example or whether its done by speaker wire, but you shouldn't have to run the speakers wires to the fronts ... just the one specifically for the sub. Its an older amp so it just might say "low pass filter output" instead of subwoofer but according to the manual, it has one. What I can't make out from the manual because the pic is so bad is what type of "audio in" inputs it has so you'd have to tell me. I know it has the usual red and white RCA plugs but does it have a "coax or coaxial" input and does it have an "optical" input. I just can't make it out in the manual...sorry. What you would normally do is connect the red and white "audio out" from your cable box to your TV so that you can run the TV with sound without having to use the amp all the time. They you would go back to the cable or satellite box and run either the "digital coax" or the "optical" output from the satellite box to the coax or optical "input" on the receiver which will give you the digital sound through the receiver and regular sound through your tv. I just can't make out what kind of audio inputs your receiver has.

9. qur

qur Member

This is the info gerry.There are red and black speaker wire type connection front a and b.center c and d. and rear.
    There is a section called coupler which has RCA type red and white connections pair of front in and out and one pair of rear out and black RCA type connections labelled center out and low pass.
    All the audio signal are RCA type red and white.There is no coax or optical.
    my other concern is that this is not dolby digital or dts.it has old dolby pro logic.would this give as good of surround effects and quality which the new receivers claims.Am i better off getting a new av receiver or work with this one.before i did not have hdtv and hd digital dishnetwork receiver.now i do. thanks much.

10. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Qur...first of all, ignore what I wrote about the subwoofer connections above and connect your speakers as you normally would. The only RCA "Audio Out" you'll want to use is the "low pass filter" which is what they use to write instead of "subwoofer" (actually, low pass filter is a bit more accurate but I guess it confused people.)The other audio outputs are for power amps which you certainly don't need.

In the absence of coax and optical outs, the next best thing would be to connect the cable or satellite box directly to the TV and from the TV's "audio outs" to the amplifier's audio inputs using either the TV's audio in or, if it doesn't have that, then the "Auxiliary In". In this manner, you can still use the TV independently, or through the receiver...that is important to me because I don't really want to use the receiver all the time but rather, only when good sound matters. Connect all your units except CD player and/or turntable directly to the TV. Note that on MOST televisions, you have to use the remote the switch the TVs speakers to "off" before the signal is sent to the receiver.

You have a bit of a dilemma on your hands. Your Yamaha is an exceptional piece of equipment and cost over $1000 about seven years ago or so! Here is the dilemma: are the surround effects of the yamaha as good as new equipment? ...I'm afraid the answer to that is no. But the "quality" of the sound from the Yamaha will be far superior than the cheaper of the AV receivers with all the digital features. Unless you have $700-$1,000 to spend on a new A/V Home Theater Receiver ... you'll be sacrificing top quality sound in favor of sound effects. Unless you've got the bucks, that's a tough call to make. I was in exactly the same situation; I choose to just be patient until I could buy a good, top quality receiver because I knew that I wouldn't be satisfied with better sound effects but cheaper quality sound ...particularly since I listen to music too and cheap sound would drive me nuts (I'm a part time piano/organ teacher). I don't know what your budget is but if you don't have $700 - $1,000 to spend on a new receiver, then be patient and use what you've got until you can afford it. What you've got now is one hell of an amp; don't trade the quality sound of that for more technologically advanced junk. (My opinion).

11. qur

qur Member

Thanks a lot for all the info and keeping up with me.what do you say about this new receiver from onkyo tx sr-605.dont know the price yet but likely to be in range of 550 to 700 i believe and do you know if polk audio ls70 timber match with polk audio f/x 1000.

12. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Qur...the onkyo tx-sr605 is a beautiful machine! I saw it at Chrtchfield for $499. Here are the specs:

Flexible video connections
    The 'SR605's 1080p-compatible HDMI inputs let you hook up two high-def sources and switch easily between them. Read more
    Details:
    » 90 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD
    » Dolby True HD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES®, Pro Logic® IIx, and DTS Neo:6 decoding
    » XM Satellite Radio Ready (requires XM subscription and optional XM Mini-Tuner package)
    » Neural Surround decoder for XM's HD Surround channels
    » SIRIUS satellite radio capable (requires SIRIUS subscription and optional SiriusConnect™ home tuner kit)
    » iPod integration (requires optional Onkyo DS-A2 iPod dock)
    » Audyssey 2EQ auto speaker setup (microphone included)
    » dual-room/dual-source audio
    » back surround speaker channels re-assignable for bi-amping front left and right speakers
    » high-current amplifier design
    » 192kHz/24-bit DACs for all channels
    » 40 AM/FM presets
    » aluminum front panel
    » multibrand remote
    » sleep timer
    » 17-1/8"W x 6-7/8"H x 16-5/16"D
    » warranty: 2 years
    » Want more peace of mind? Extended Service Plans Available

Connections:
    » 1080p-compatible HDMI digital video switching (2 in, 1 out)
    » HDMI version 1.3
    » analog-to-HDMI video conversion
    » component video switching: 3 in, 1 out
    » component video conversion
    » digital inputs: 3 optical (including 1 front panel), 2 coaxial
    » 5 audio/video inputs, including:
    • 1 front-panel input with composite and S-video
    • 4 rear-panel inputs with composite and S-video
    » 2 audio-only inputs
    » no phono input
    » 7.1-channel analog audio preamp input
    » 1 pair of main speaker outputs
    Top of Page Request a copy of the Manufacturer's Warranty

$499.99

It has everything you could want at an excellent price and 90w X 7 is quite powerful. If you buy from a web site, make sure they're "factory authorized" .... most are considered distributers, not retailers, so the manufacturer's warranty is void so be careful.

I think the speakers are timber matched but I need to do a little more homework on that one!

I don't know if the onkyo has a pass through but I rather doubt it (personally, I don't find it all that important); I'll look further though. Also note that it doesn't have a phono input; do you listen to vinyl??

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2007
  13. qur

qur Member

Thanks again.i think sr605 is great.would likely get it in few months however i am a great fan of vinyl.have complete collection of supertramp,pinkfloyd,rod st.,alan par project and many more in vinyl.so you cant win everything.right now music and movies sounds wonderful however i am not satisfied with rear sp.looking for polk fx ls.cant find them thats why i asked if fx 1000 matches.Are you in England....
    bye for now.

14. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Qur ... no, I live in Philly! I will look into the speakers today when I have some free time. I'm quite sure I know how to connect your turntable but I don't want to misinform so I'll look that up too.