1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yellow Dog VS Ubuntu???

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by Oner, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Alright guys got a bit of a dilemma in my head and need some help on a decision...I am getting another PS3 soon (60 gb to go with my 20gb) and I can't decide on which Linux to install on it YDL or Ubuntu? I already have Fedora Core 5 on my 20gb and I don't want to format/do it over again since it runs pretty sweet as is.

The main issues are that YDL will have MUCH more support over time for the PS3 since they have a great relationship with Sony but I have heard Ubuntu is a more friendly Linux for Windows users which is a plus for the ol' girlfriend.

So I want to get some informational replies (not just Ubuntu is "better") as well as hopefully someone who has had a try at both on the PS3 for a true test.

2. reloadSE

reloadSE Regular member

Well i used to use ubuntu and thought that was pretty easy for me (snice i'm a windows user) but then my ps3 got cooked, so now im looking at using a diffirent distro for my new ps3

3. glenquag

glenquag Regular member

I find Ubuntu is pretty user friendly. The only thing I'm having trouble with is getting WIFI to work. I was on YDL and I found it wasn't near as user friendly. Lots of stuff messed up on it because I don't have an HDTV. If you are using a hardwired connection I'd go with Ubuntu because It has support for lots of applications like Limewire.
    You can see here:
    http://www.limewire.com/download/version.php

4. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

^Bump^