1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

yep, another annoying "Please Help I'm Inept" thread

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by SOE337, Apr 10, 2007.

1. SOE337

SOE337 Member

So here it is guys, I'm sure I'll get some flak from all the professionals but all I need is for someone with alittle patience to guide me through downgrading my psp. I've tried it about 14 times so far with no avail..obviously. I have no skills when it comes to understanding the jargon associated with this type of thing. I'm not a compelte loss, it's just that being a noob, some of this is over my head and I haven't had the privilage of someone explaining it to me or finding out what it all means.

1. I have 2.6 fw
    2. I'm about 87.9% sure my psp is not a tao-802 or what not.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. My objective isn't to just learn this stuff, get what I came for then take off. I want to continue learning and grasp a compelte understanding. If theres anyone out there who would like to donate some time to a noob who is capable but currently inept, please help. Thanks so much.

2. Seroth

Seroth Guest

what exactly is your problem then at the moment? at which point during the downgrading process are you stuck? I've been having some problems of my own with downgrading, but eventually I got it to work thanks to yet another downgrader and some useful tips from fellow forum-members. But in order to help you, you need to give us some more info...

3. SOE337

SOE337 Member

Well I'm having trouble understanding the instructions quite honestly. Not sure what or where the "root" of the memory stick is. I also understand that I need a 1.5 file "passed" to me from someone with 1.5 fw? Basically, I'm not sure what goes where...also some files need to be put in the photos section? I don't know, it's just all a mess to me and I can never get the downgrade to run. Also, how do I know if I have a ta-082?

I just basically need the walkthrough to be explained to me. What other info do you need? Thanks for replying!

4. Seroth

Seroth Guest

First of all, you might wanna check this out:

http://www.psp-haxors.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=990

This is where I started. This is a complete guide on how to downgrade nearly every FW version with the exception of 3.10 and higher. You have a 2.61 FW, so you need an unpatched GTA LCS UMD disc to use the 2.61 downgrader. If you do not own one (like me) it might be wise to upgrade to 2.71 or 2.80 to try the other easy downgrade programs as listed in the tutorial. You can get the eboot.pbp files (the FW upgrading files) from...well, not sure actually, just use google to search for an upgraged FW version and you should find one pretty easily (I did). After that, just go back to the tutorial, use one of the easy downgrades (which installs ALL files you'll need on your psp automatically) and then follow the rest of the instructions.

The root of the psp stick is just the memory stick directory btw, so that would be the drive name the memory card is given when you hook it up to your pc.

5. SOE337

SOE337 Member

ok. i will try this. the downgrade for 2.6 is very confusing so if you say so, i'll upgrade to 2.7. what it the gta lcs thing? grand theft auto? there's a patch in the game? if i dont need it then i'll just upgrade. which ug program did you use?

im searching now and i'll see where i get. MUCH appreciated man. i'm sure i'll have questions about devhook and such after the up-downgrade. thanks again. i'm sure i'll be back here very soon.

6. SOE337

SOE337 Member

ok i have a problem every link i click for the 2.7 upgrade sends me to a 3.3 upgrade only. ??

7. SOE337

SOE337 Member

is there a game i can rent to upgrade automatically?

8. boyet804

boyet804 Member

just upgrade to 2.71 psp official firmware then search for a 2.71 to 1.5 downgrader after that use the winstaller to upgrade to a custom firmware i recomend 3.03 oec but its up to u heres the link to the thread

here u go brother

9. SOE337

SOE337 Member

do i need the 3.3 winstaller? if so why? i'm working on ug to 2.7 but it wont run on my pc for somereason. azureus keeps trying to open the file and it will not read it.

10. SOE337

SOE337 Member

do i need devhook w/ 3.03 and how do i get the media onto my psp?

11. boyet804

boyet804 Member

upgrade to 2.71

make sure what type of motherboard u have first before downgrading

12. SOE337

SOE337 Member

do i open or save it? if i save where do i save it to desktop? also azureus keeps trying to open my saves files and they wonjt run because of an error. any suggs?

13. boyet804

boyet804 Member

ye save it to desktop do u know how to unzip the file

14. SOE337

SOE337 Member

do you have an instant messenger by chance? if you have some time to chat 1-1 this may go quicker.

i do know how to unzip files. it pretty much prompts and does it automatically. the problem is when i save files to my desktop the azureus icon appears on the files and az wont open them or allow them to run. i've tried opening them with different programs but none work so far. man, thanks so much for still helping my stupid ass out.

15. SOE337

SOE337 Member

how do i initiate the upgrade and where do i save the files?

16. fultonla

fultonla Guest

everything you need is in my link these downgraders and upgraders practically do it for you.

17. SOE337

SOE337 Member

thanks very much fult, but i dont have a ta-082. my real issue is with extracting and opening the files as well as not knowing where to put what.

i have a 2.6 fw

18. SOE337

SOE337 Member

that file is corrupted

19. joshjy

joshjy Regular member

the ROOT of the mem stick is the first thing you will see when you conect the mem stick to the computer everything in it has to be in capitals.

as for extracting extract them anywhere download WIN RAR ( google it) then just left click on the file you want to extract a list of options will appear just click EXTRACT HERE then win rar will do the rest you wil havr the file inside in a few secs.

20. Seroth

Seroth Guest

It's real simple

The EBOOT.PBP file for a possible UPGRADE goes in the GAME directory of your memory stick. Create a new map called 'UPDATE' (yes, in caps), and place it there. That way you might upgrade to 2,7 or 2,8

Now. Once you've done that, download one of the easy downgraders as linked in the thread I gave you the link of. These hangy programs are only to be extracted with winrar, and then just run on the PC. What these programs do is install all the downgrade files in the right directories on your psp mem stick. If you are unsure: Read the tutorial written in the link I gave you which corresponds to your FW version. It can't be any simpler, it's step by step instructions of where to click, what to do, what to run, complete with screenshots of what it should look like. Can't be that hard then? I couldn't explain it any better myself.

As for azureus opening the rar files, dunno what's up with that. Download winrar, and eh, get rid of azureus? or just right click the file and choose 'open with' to get it to open with winrar. Shouldn't be much of a problem now should it?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2007