1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yesterday my 360 read backups, today it doesn't...

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by peterjam, Jul 15, 2007.

1. peterjam

peterjam Member

Hi everyone
    OK, so I got a new 360 console last week, because I sold my last one. The new one has a Samsung drive, so I took it with a friend and he flashed it, with the new firmware, the one that allows you to use xbox live even with a flashed console.
    So yesterday I played my backup game of The Darkness, and my original game of Rainbow Six Vegas, everything was fine, except that The Darkness gave me a dirty disc error twice, I cleaned the disk and kept playing for like another 3 hours with no more problems.
    So this morning I was ready to play again, but when I load my Darkness game, first, It doesn't recognize the game, and on future attempts a small video appears telling me that "in order to play this xbox 360 game you should insert it in an xbox 360 console". So I inserted oblivion, which is also a backup, and I get the same error. Then I inserted splinter cell double agent, which is also a backup, but this one plays fine. All of my backup dvd's are either verbatim or ridata, but my question is: How come I was able to play the darkness yesterday for a few hours, and less than a day after, the console doesn't recognize it?
    Any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. flowfast

flowfast Regular member

wow thats crazy maybe you need a pot adjustment.

3. Memnock

Memnock Active member

Was The Darkness a Ridata or Verbatim? It sounds like it could be a media or burner issue. A new drive shouldn't be acting up like that, but I guess it's possible it could the the drive too.

4. peterjam

peterjam Member

The Darkness DVD is a ridata. I just found out the strangest thing, If I load the splinter cell game and play for a few minutes, and then load the darkness game, the console recognizes it and I can play. I got up to half the game I think but know whenever the next chapter is loading I get the "the disc is probably dirty or scratched" message, and I can't get past that point. The disc doesn't looked scratched or anything, so it could be a burning issue, but how do you explain the fact that I could play it after loading the splinter cell dvd, or that this drive can't read my oblivion back up, and the last one could?
    This is so strange...

5. Memnock

Memnock Active member

I guess to question I should have asked is are the Verbatims works while the Ridatas are flakey? If so, then there's the answer right there.

6. peterjam

peterjam Member

Well The Darkness is a Ridata, and it works sometimes, and only after I played splinter cell (which is a verbatim) after a few minutes. But Oblivion is also verbatim and it never works, and it did work on my older console.
    I heard somewhere that when you have a samsung drive, and you flash it with the firmware that lets you use xbox live, games need to be burned using a special protocol or something like that. Do you think that's the case?
    Sorry if my english isn't very understandable, but it isn't my first language.

7. mrlip

mrlip Regular member

Ive seen stuff like this happen with PS2's. Infact its happened to me, games boot then dont boot then boot. Very Strang indeed. What I would try is get the Oblivion game, and make a copy of it from that copy. Make sure you get no read errors off the disk when your copying it, that will narrow down the possibility that the disk is scratched. Then burn a new copy of Oblvion on to some good verbatim disks and see if that plays.

8. bremner

bremner Member

exactly the same thing happened to me, try the rubberband mod ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df5xjUOcLlI ) i know people say its just for the open tray problem but i tried it anyway and all was well untill my 360 died ( i dont think it was related to me doing the rubberband mod, it had a hard life )

9. evnflow

evnflow Guest

had the same thing happen to me...adjusted the "Pot" screw on the laser and made it stronger...it reads the discs fine now(without the dirty disc errors)...also used the rubberband mod...be careful adjusting the "pot" screw...if you make it too strong it will burn the laser out or damage the disc...if you burn the laser out...you will get nothing but "open tray" errors for ALL discs...

here's how to adjust the "pot" screw: http://dl.qj.net/dl.php?fid=8385

Link has been updated...the first link wasn't working..now it is..

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2007
  10. peterjam

peterjam Member

Thanks a lot everybody, I'm gonna try these procedures you are suggesting. Just to make sure, I'm going to my friends house on friday, and I'm gonna try my games on his console, which has the same samsung drive and is flashed using the same firmware. If the games run fine there, then I hope I can convice him to perform the repairs you mentioned here.
    I'll let you know how it all turned out. Thanks again.