1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

yet another ac3 problem

Discussion in 'Audio' started by redrum187, Oct 18, 2004.

1. redrum187

redrum187 Member

i'm trying to watch some xvids with ac3 and the audio is unstable, like one second the audio will be loud then a couple seconds later its really really low and almost inaudible... any ideas?

2. Wagz

Wagz Regular member

I just had this problem with a divx that I had watched before without any problems, so I just uninstalled/reinstalled my divx player, xvid codec and ac3 codec and it worked fine, don't know if that will work forever since I dont' really know what the problem was, but you can give that a try.

3. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

You are experiencing the full dynamic range (120dB) of AC3 digital audio technology!
    Thrilling, isn't it?
    You are all leaned forward in your chair, trying to listen to whispers (lip-reading helps) when a sudden gunshot or explosion blasts your brain and rattles your windows...
    This dynamic range of this audio should be compressed for home playback.
    Kenwood Laserdisk players (in the 1980s) had 'Midnight Theatre' which did just that.
    Something similar is built into recent Windows Media Players.
    It makes the quiet parts louder, and the loud parts quieter :)
    When I backup a DVD to AVI, I will apply compression to the audio (especially action/adventure movies).
    The resulting dynamic range is still generous by any standard.
    But lemme see - what to do?
    If you have AC3Filter installed, go into its configuration, and right on the Main page (bottom-left) select 'Preset - Loud'.
    Save. This will help you right away.
    AC3 audio is all about 5.1 channels and gymnasium-sized basement theatres.
    If you don't have all the audio playback equipment and channels, you are gonna have this problem.
    People should probably make more AVIs with nice, moderately-compressed VBR MP3 audio.
    This audio contains Dolby ProLogic type surround info.
    I think 1400MB AC3 AVIs are silly...
    Just get a DVD burner (and DVD Shrink) for that.
    Oh well just my two cents :)
    L8R

4. Wagz

Wagz Regular member

It's not the full dynamic range of the AC3 codec,
    sometime the whispers are realy loud, and the gunshots realy quiet, and it's not always the same volume when you play it back. The problems something else, so far all I know is reinstalling it works.