1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another out of sync audio issue.

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by gaest, Sep 14, 2004.

1. gaest

gaest Member

Sorry about this: you seem to get a lot of these threads. But I've had these problems for the last week or so and I've been combing for answers here and elsewhere, and the problems are just so persistent that I'm getting frustrated.

I'm trying to get a few of my .avi's burned to VCD. So I encode each .avi into .mpg format using TMPGEnc. The .mpg format plays just fine in a variety of players: WinDVD, Windows Media Player, etc. There are no sync issues at all. But the moment I burn them (using WinDVD Creator), things go wrong. The audio and video begin in-sync, but progressively get worse the farther the movie goes, with the audio falling a least a second or two behind the video.

I've tried disregarding my perfect .mpg file and "correcting" the sync issues by demuxing, resampling the audio in Goldwave, reconverting the .wav file back to .mp2 in TMPGEnc, and multiplexing it back together, but when I burn it, things end up worse than before, only on the other side with the audio preceding the video, as though there hadn't been any sync issues at all before I resampled the audio.

I've tried following a handful of different guides to burning VCDs on here and on doom9, but whatever I do the audio is persistently out of sync once I burn the .mpg to the disc.

I've also used GSpot to verify that I have the proper codecs installed, which I do.

When I burn the .avi directly to disc through WinDVD Creator, there are no sync issues at all. That leads me to think that the problem is in the encoding process, despite the fact that my .mpgs play just fine on my computer before the burning process. I would just convert all my .avis directly to VCD. But because there are subtitles on the .avi, the overscan on my TV cuts them off almost entirely. Which is why I like using TMPGEnc, because it is relatively easy to correct for overscan in the encoding process. If only I could get the audio to work....

I'm pretty much a complete newbie to this, so feel free to point out any stupid mistakes I've made.

Or, if there is a simple way to resize my .avi to correct for overscan, I'll take that too.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well when you encode a File in Tmpgenc you have to make sure you are encodeing the AVI to mpeg useing the same Frame rate ,Meaning if you AVI is 23.976fps then you have to encode it at 23.976fps and not 25fps or 29.976fps and if you do you will get Sync problems....

Also Don"t use WinDVD Creator to Burn your Files to CD-R Try simply Burning them to CD-R use something simple like Nero in VCD mode...
    Also make sure that your Burning program are not re-encodeing the File when you burn it to CD=R...

You should also consider useing DVD"s instead of VCD"s because there are so many problems with the VCD/SVCD formats and you have to allways get up half way through the movie to Change the CD..
    You can fit 4+ full VCD movies on a single DVD-R and they Play better and it is also cheaper to use DVD-R"s than CD-R"s and DVD Burners are extremely Cheap like $65 for a Dual Layered Dual Format 8X DVD burner....

3. gaest

gaest Member

The frame rate for the avi is 29.97, which is the frame rate that I'm using to encode it into mpeg.

I do have Nero, but whenever I attempt to burn a VCD, it is absolutely unusable. As in, it doesn't work in any of my DVD players and it doesn't even work in my computer. I guess that CD-Rs can't be read on the DVD players I have, because they do support VCD format. I've tried encoding the AVIs into VCD-compliant format through TMPGEnc or by giving it over to Nero itself (bleh), and neither way works. I've also tried different brands of CD-Rs with no luck. Basically, for me, all Nero has been good for is burning data discs.

Since what I'm burning is less than an hour long, I don't really need to worry about the VCD "changing the disc" issue. But you have a good point. I do have a DVD recorder, and lately I've been using Creator to make DVDs directly from the AVIs. That works just fine now that I've got AviSynth and VirtualDub working, although the process seems to take a lot longer.

I guess my original question is defunct now that I've got WinDVD Creator working in a more roundabout way. But thanks for the reply anyway.