1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another PS2 -- ICS question...

Discussion in 'PS2' started by jiffy524, Jan 17, 2005.

1. jiffy524

jiffy524 Member

I have been scanning the internet and forums forever trying to get this set up. I have a Dlink wireless router. I have a laptop which recieves this wireless signal. I bought a crossover cable, enabled ICS on my laptop (XP) and connected the laptop to the ps2.

I can run the online setup test, but it stops after the DNAS part, and give me a network error (-611).

I think I am having trouble with the DNS settings (and possibly the ip/router) settings on the ps2 setup disc. Automatic configuration does not work.

Here is a bad diagram of my setup:

Cable Modem--WIRED-->D Link Router~~~~~WIRELESS~~~Laptop--WIRED-->PS2

My brain is about to explode...

2. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

You're doing too much NATting. ICS only works if one of the connections is connected directly to the Internet. Try connecting your PS2 directly to the router and you'll have much better results.

3. jiffy524

jiffy524 Member

from what I have read you seem to really know what you are talking about ice monkey, I actually hoped you would chime in.

I could have sworn I read where people got this set up to work though. Unfortunately they got it going and never spent the time to update their threads with their final layout.

4. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

I would highly recommend that you go with the PS2 to router setup just to eliminate this complexity, however, if you cannot pursue this route for whatever reason, it would be beneficial to know the IP addresses of all the devices mentioned in your diagram in order to come up with a workaround. ICS will not be an option in this case since it requires that all network interfaces be set to obtain TCP/IP information dynamically and this may conflict with the router's TCP/IP configuration. It might be possible to create some manual routes which is where the IP information I requested comes in.

5. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

I have my ps2 setup exactly the way you just showed. It works flawlesly. The only problem is that I am having a hard time FTPing anything to my PS2. Since the actual IP of the ps2 does NOT show up in my router. It shows ONLY the ip of the laptop that I have connected. My PS2 shows the ip as

and the gatway is my laptops ip

All I did to hook it up was did the exact same connections as you, then I right clicked on the wireles network, then went to the last tab (of 3) and selected "allow other users to connect to the internet through blah blah blah"

Waited for the files to finish updating then rebooted. After I ran the connection setup on my PS2 it just worked.

A couple things I suggest you check are

1) that you did not try to put a password and username in the PS2 when seting up the network
    2) that your mod chip is dissabled when you try to go online (if you have one)
    3) that you for sure have a crossover cable

I suggest that you prolly selected to manually enter your user name and password, which you do NOT need to do on the PS2 setup utility

6. jiffy524

jiffy524 Member

Icemonkey: Here are my numbers -

Router gives ip addresses out in the 192.168.1.20x range

ICS (right now) gives out 192.168.0.xxx

running an ipconfig /all:
    ETHERNET ADAPTER WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION -
    IP 192.168.1.201
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers 192.168.1.1

ETHERNET ADAPTER LOCAL AREA CONNECTION (set to obtain automatically)-
    IP 192.168.0.1
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway (BLANK, as in no numbers appear)

Then, if I go into my router settings here are the categories I can get numbers for (I marked the ones I have numbers for but did not want to post):

LAN:
    MAC Address (I left it out on purpose)
    IP 192.168.1.1
    Subnet 255.255.255.0

WAN:
    MAC Address (left out on purpose)
    IP (The one from the cable company, left out on purpose)
    Subnet 255.255.xxx.0 (left out those few numbers again on purpose)
    Default Gateway
    and 2 DNS server ip's (once again, left out on purpose)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  7. jiffy524

jiffy524 Member

Stinky - any way you could tell me what numbers and where you got them that you used to put into the playstation when you used the startup disk?

Possibly, put the online cd in again and find the numbers and compare it to your ipconfig /all and router?

I tried automatic config but it worked worse than my futile guesses.

8. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Try setting your network settings on the PS2 manually. Use the address 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.0.1 and set the DNS server to 192.168.1.1. Let us know how that works out.

9. jiffy524

jiffy524 Member

Thanks for the fast reply, but still no luck.

I know it is connecting to the laptop, because the system tray icon shows the connection is connected and moving data. The PS2 runs the DNAS authentication, but then stops and I get this message on the TV:

The test to connect to your ISP failed. Network Error (-611) There was an error in the response from the DNS server. Please check your network configuration.

10. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

You can also try supplying the DNS server addresses provided by your ISP in the PS2's DNS settings. Also, does your network setup disc contain any troubleshooting tools such as ping, tracert, etc?

11. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

the network setup disc conatins, ping and tracert but they are setup to pin sony and trace your connection to them. You cant change where it does that. So unless he is getting an outside connection it might not do anything for him.

12. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

That would be sufficient. Using tracert would determine if traffic is dropping at the laptop, the router, or elsewhere.

13. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

That would be sufficient. Using tracert would determine if traffic is dropping at the laptop, the router, or elsewhere.

14. jiffy524

jiffy524 Member

It has network tools, such as ping, but you need to have network settings saved on the memory card to use it, and since I can't complete the DNAS part, it won't save so I can't run any tools.

I tried the dns servers from the router settings, the ones from my ISP, but still nothing. Infact, now it sometimes says that the local area connection has limited or no connectivity, this was not happening earlier.

I noticed and read about something that may be causing some of this headache. My wireless card says it is disconnected, even though it is infact connected. Right now as I type this, I can surf web pages and chat with friends, but it says im not connected.

I have a Dlink AirPlus DWL650+ card, with a TI ACX100WLAN adapter(driver). I am looking for answers right now on why it says disconnected when it isn't, and that may have to be its own post in another forum...

Im also getting a friend to bring his laptop over, and then I am going to plug his into mine and find out what IP, subnet, router, and dns servers it takes and try to enter them into the playstation.

What a pain...

15. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

This is largely why I strongly recommend connecting the PS2 directly to the router. What you might be able to try is running from the command prompt on the laptop the command "arp -a" after the PS2 attempts to initialize and see if the IP of the PS2 is listed. This would determine if communication is actually occuring between the laptop and the PS2.

16. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

its hard to ping or do anything like that to the ps2 because it is not always connecting to the adapter. Only when it decides it needs to.

I have the same air card and mine also reads disconected, when it does my PS2 will not always connect. Sometimes it does still connect like that. You cant trust the connection window on the taskbar though, you need to open your connections and see what it says. If that says not connected then you will NOT be able to surf or connect the ps2.

17. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

The arp command would verify if connectivity has occurred at all. You can also try the command "ping -t <ps2ip>" from the command prompt on the laptop during the PS2's network setup process to see if connectivity occurs. Replace the <ps2ip> with the statically configured PS2 IP address.

18. jiffy524

jiffy524 Member

When I set this up on the PS2 screen, should I be choosing LAN, I Have an ISP, or I don't have an ISP?

I was originally trying LAN, now I just tried ISP with the previous number suggestions Icemonkey has made, and while it was making the DNAS connection I ran arp -a

It came back like this:
    Interface: 192.168.0.1 --- 0x3
    Internet Connections (both dynamic)
    192.168.1.200 (which is a desktop I have wired to the router downstairs)

When the playstation is NOT connecting, the desktop does not show up under arp -a

I find this interesting, but maybe thats just me.

19. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

What I don't see is an IP entry for the PS2. This leads me to believe that no connection is actually occuring between the laptop and the PS2. I think you should check your cable again and verify that you are infact using a crossover cable and try connecting another device with that cable for testing purposes. If you were previously using that cable to connect a device to the router it isn't likely a crossover cable. Another thing to try would be connecting the PS2 directly to the router using a patch cable to see if the PS2 network hardware is all good. If the cable you were using above turns out not to be a crossover you can connect the PS2 to the router with it.

20. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

select "I HAVE AN ISP", after that it will run you right through, ask for a username and password and an email. You can use a fake one if you want. Then it will DNAS check for you and then save it.