1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another video card question...

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Waymon3X6, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Hello all (sammorris included since he'll probably be the first to answer.)

Since I am getting a Gecube x1950xt, I have decided to replace the stock TEC cooling (which sucks, according to reviews) with the Thermaltake CL-W0052 Tide Water All in One VGA Liquid Cooling module.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16835116017

The only thing is firstly, will it fit the card? I think it will since reviewers have had it on their other ATi x19** cards, but I want to be sure.

Also, I need to know how many RAM moduels this card has. Since the card doesnt come with any ramsinks, I think I'll add these:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16835116019

Since there is only 6 of them, I want to make sure I buy enough...

Anyone know how many ram moduels this card has? I have searched for a pic of the bare card without the gay TEC cooler, but cant find one.

All help is appreciated!!!

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The X1950XT should have eight 64MB RAM chips, my X1900XT did, and since trhe X1950XT has the same amount and same type of memory, I reckon you'll need 8.
    As for the cooler fitting, if it's PCI express 16x it will fit, AGP versions are a bit different, so get back to me if it's an AGP 8x model.

Whoops I appear to have been the first to reply to this post, oh well!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  3. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

This is a 256mb card (agp version), not 512 like the PCI-e version! :) So is that 6 64MB chips instead?

Yes, the card is a agp 8x (I dont want to go PCI-e yet.)

Does this mean it will fit?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The question is, can you only find one with the TEC cooling? That does indeed suck, but from what I can see, the Tide Water isn't exactly great either. It may be better at cooling, but the noise level sounds as severe at before. Would it not just be easier to find a version with the standard fan? I'm sure they made them.
    The other reason I ask is that Thermaltake don't seem to tell people what it's compatible with. What about a Zalman VF900? That seems like it would work...

5. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

I was really looking into that (and had decided that it would be my cooling choice) before I found the water cooling one, but I really like the thermaltake one...

I dont mind the noise that much (I watched the 3D Game man review, it wasnt super loud...).

Yes, I can only find one with the TEC cooling, nothing else...

Do you think this only because of the noise it makes?

Also, do you need to keep filling up the water cooling system with coolant?, or does it allways stay in there and not evaporate?

Thanks

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, the noise would bug me, maybe not you, I note that it uses the same fan as the normal cooling system for high end radeons, known to be loud and annoying.
    However, it's not that that concerns me. Water cooling coolant doesn't need to be topped up, but it needs replacing every, I dunno, maybe year or so because of impurities. The thing that really concerns me is that it's Thermaltake. Some of their power supplies may be alright (because theyr'e not actually made by Thermaltake) but a lot of the stuff Thermaltake is really tacky low-quality stuff. With water cooling, you really don't want that!

7. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Can you suggest something for the VGA card that would be under 100 USD and is watercooling?

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The only way I'd suggest watercooling a Graphics card, unless there's a Sapphire Toxic edition (In this case I don't think there is), is to hook it up to your own watercooling system, and do the lot. Does it have to be water cooled?

The awesome air cooler, Thermalright HR-03 will work, providing you follow these instructions:

9. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Ok, I looked at what you offered and since it is only a heatsink (w/ no fan, according to newegg, I didn't go with it.)

I just ordered everything and this is what I got for $366.67 USD

Gecube x1950xt 256mb agp videocard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814241049

Thermaltake CL-C0025 RAM Heatsink
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835116019

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

Thermaltake Tide Water VGA Water Cooler CL-W005(couldnt get it from newegg, out of stock so I got it off ebay, brand new)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Thermaltake-Tid...ryZ80150QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

What do you think about these? Could I have made better choices for under 368$?

I just hope the new watercooling VGA block will fit onto the GPU...

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You can use whichever 92mm fan you like, but guess what?
    I use one and I don't even bother with a fan. I've turned all my case fans right down to 500rpm and can play games with no overheating issues. They're incredible!
    Note that the HR-03 already comes with RAMsinks, and it'll probably cool better than the tide water.