1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YHT-390BL thoughts suggestions?

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by redux79, Sep 9, 2008.

1. redux79

redux79 Regular member

Well I've finally had it with my POS koss htib, it's given me nothing but trouble and last night it actually (ate) scratched the hell out of one of my dvd's.

I’ve been looking for a suitable replacement for a mid-size room with a powered sub and I stumbled upon this yamaha system.
    http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=567702&CNTYP=PRODUCT

The three component video and digital audio inputs were a major deciding factor for me, my tv only has two component inputs(no hdmi) so the receiver can double as a switch box of sorts. I've read a number of reviews and everyone seems to love this as an entry level system the only real complaints were about the remote setup.

I’ve managed to find this unit for a little over 300 from Amazon with free shipping
    http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-39...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1220978475&sr=8-1

This receiver seems to support all dvd audio codec’s dolby 5.1/5.1ex and dts 5.1/ neo:6/ es discrete 6.1. I’m still looking for a quality upconvert dvd player that can output all of these codec’s and play dvd +/- R backups so any advice on brands or models would be appreciated (oppo is out of my price range atm).

I am seriously about to jump at this deal, it looks like it will suit my needs perfectly (sat box/ xbox 360/ dvd player) from the technical aspects to reviews and the price everything seems to be spot on. If anyone has any advice or knows something I don’t about this system please tell me.

Edit:
    Amazon no longer has the lowest price, but a seller called 6th avenue electronics is selling the system for $307 with free 3-5 business day shipping. It almost sounds too good to be true considering shipping weight, standard ground shipping from Amazon is almost $50.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00141CTNK/ref=dp_olp_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1221069556&sr=8-1

Has anyone ever heard of sixth avenue electronics? Could the price and free shipping be a result of clearing out stock? Or is it something more under handed refurb ect... the life time rating seems good enough 25,000 at 96%.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

3. JVC

JVC Active member

He wants an HTIB, not a receiver.
    This was discussed in the DVD forum too.........

4. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I know, I only replied to express my experience with 6th ave and felt compelled to throw in the Onkyo plug :D

5. redux79

redux79 Regular member

I was a little unsure as to where to post my query considering there seems to be no htib's discussed in this forum. At the same time the yamaha system doesn't have a built in dvd player so I would consider that more fitting for this forum.

As for the dvd player forum I was unsure as to the decoding of codec’s and thought if I linked you to this thread you might have a better idea of what I was talking about. The discussion however stayed in the dvd player forum instead of this one that I linked you to. Sorry if I was a little impatient but I recognized your nick and thought you could give me some advice before the price changed again.

My budget was tight to say the least, I gave onkyo, sony, and pioneer some consideration but in the end the prices were just too steep. I decided to grab this Yamaha system because I found it with a hundred dollar price cut with free shipping and it was manufactured Feb. 08.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008