1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YLOD what's most likely wrong?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by steo2k8, Jul 19, 2011.

1. steo2k8

steo2k8 Regular member

Hi I have a PS3 here that was being played for about 30 minutes and then just shut off. Then had YLOD when it was turned back on. Since it shut off I thought it might be the power supply but I tried another one and it didn't work. Is it most likely a short somewhere since it just shut off and wasn't freezing or locking up?

Thanks in advance.

2. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

Nope, standard YLOD. The Xbox 360 freezes, the PS3 simply shuts itself off.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  3. bigo93

bigo93 Regular member

ylod implies a hardware fault, the fault can be anything.
    Most likely cause is overheating which can result in the cpu and gpu pins becoming loose, the fix is the heat gun fix.
    After that its the power supply.
    Could also be the hdd not connected properly.

4. steo2k8

steo2k8 Regular member

I've done a lot of heatgun repairs on rrod xbox's so I'll try it on the ps3 and see what happens.

5. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

I have done both, in my oppinion PS3 is easier.

6. 07anto07

07anto07 Regular member

heatgun works no problem but can go again at anytime i have had to fix same ps3 3times hopefully it's 3rd time lucky :)

7. bigo93

bigo93 Regular member

You've done the heat gun fix 3 times on the same ps3?! Sound like it's best to start looking for a replacement.

Where do you keep it? Cos sounds like it like getting hot a lot, and the more times you use the heat gun fix the more damage you can be doing to the other components making a completely hardware failure more likely.

Did you use Artic 5 or similar or better thermal compound? Or did you get some cheap stuff. The Artic 5 is worth the extra cost, it's more expensive for a reason, it work a lot better.
    Another tip given on the ylod thread is place silicone or rubber pads under the psu and drive to lift them up to allow airflow under them.

8. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Don't even bother...people who do the YLOD fix over and over again don't care that they are only fixing a symptom of a heat issue, and not fixing the heat issue itself. If you try to offer constructive criticism, they just take it as an insult to their repair skills.