1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your advice: DVD HDD recorder with good software

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by ThePastor, May 4, 2007.

1. ThePastor

ThePastor Member

I have a lite-on DVD recorder and I like it ok, but it does not have a HDD. I'm a bit disapointed in the menuing/editing software. I'd like to add chapter points after-the-fact and maybe move titles around. I'm wondering if a HDD DVD recorder will allow this. I've never seen one in action but I understand they do the timeshift and other things that would be cool.
    I'm not looking for anything high end. My sound needs are minimal. I just want a good HDD DVD recorder that will allow me to edit commercials and such and reauthor DVD's as I wish.

Which ones should I look at that have good software and are at a good price?

2. ThePastor

ThePastor Member

And, what about fast dubbing? Do these things allow a fast copy from DVD to HDD and fast dubbing from HDD to DVD, like a computer would?

3. arttuk

arttuk Member

I've only used Sony (maybe RDR-HX720) HDD DVD recorder. So I don't really know if it's better or worse than other HDD DVD recorders. I've also used Philips and Sony dvd only recorders and LG VHS&DVD recorder.

It's ok for cutting something out of the recording, like commercials. But I'm disappointed that browsing titles and the navigation is slow, and also response into remote control buttons is too slow for my mind. This is extremely annoying when naming titles.

It is also capable of fast dubbing. I think it supports some 16x discs, but I've mostly used 8x. Transferring ~110 minutes tooks maybe about 12 minutes. Estimated time varies during recording, and I don't remember the exact time I once clocked.

4. ThePastor

ThePastor Member

Thank you very much for the response.

As I tried to figure out what I wanted in this area I ended up geting a Tuner card for my computer and configuring it for Home Theater. This way I know I'll have good software.

I chose the ATI Wonder 550 Analog card and am using Media Portal