1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your thoughts on IPOD eac settings

Discussion in 'Audio' started by askyew, Dec 15, 2004.

1. askyew

askyew Regular member

Hi, I am more of a video buff but I bought my son an IPOD for Christmas. I have downloaded EAC and lame encoder to rip and encode his cd collection for transfer. It seems to be an easy task to rip and convert to mp3 format. My problem is I am new to this and any advise on the settings I should use would be greatly appreciated. Please bear in mind that I have encoded a grand total of 1 cd so far. I know there is a way to set the Lame quality but I really don't know how or which ones are best.

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

3. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Variable bitrate (VBR) is always best, especially at 256 kbps! Try not to go under 192 kbps when using a VBR scheme.

Ced

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I've done several tests between 192 and 256/320 VBR, and I really can't tell the diff. I've listened at home, in my car, even blasting out at 3,000 watts through my DJ system. In my opinion, using EAC, LAME, and VBR together makes mp3s just about as high quality as they will get, and going past 192 isn't really going to make the quality that much better. But hey, thats just my opinion. Rip em' at 320 if you feel like it, just hope you have the HD space to store them. I used to do that, but I have over 17,000 mp3s, so I'm trying to be drive space considerate these days.