1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your very first thread AD... Playback and ripping

Discussion in 'Digital video discussion for Linux users' started by Phantom69, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

are there any special filters or any special tools needed to play a disc backed up on a windows PC

Last edited: Dec 7, 2005
  2. xxschizo

xxschizo Member

You know . . . your question is so vague . . . you need to give details of what you want to know...... to play what kind of disc? dvd? avi? svcd? divx? is it a movie, tv, what? how was the disc created? ....... give us a little more to go on.. actually, a lot more ... what version of windows are you talking about? does it have video decoding/playing software such as powerdvd????????

3. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

first of all i would like to thank you for replying as this is the first thread for this forum...

i was wondering if there were any special filters or plugins for linux needed in order to play a dvd disc backed up on a windows pc

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i've played the odd original DVD or backed up DVD in Linux via 'Xine', and totam player i think it's called

5. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

cool, i have them pre-isntalled into Fedora (still getting used to gnome) thanx i now know how to play dvd's under Fedora/GNOME...LOL...

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i meant to say 'totem' in previous reply.

as to Gnome, i always used to prefer it cus any Linux machines i had were too slow for KDE. However KDE has come on leaps and bounds so i went to KDE. but as you know my laptop install blew up (KDE crashing) even after a full reinstall so i've reinstalled without KDE, no more probs. Got Gnome as main environment but have hardly used Linux since. especially as my eldest wanted to play Frozen Bobble and the game don't work now. Linux - pah!

7. xxschizo

xxschizo Member

Yeah - I just wanted to post this bc I forgot I had previously posted in this thread --- I use Xine on Ubuntu Breezy to play back DVDs. Whether you can play DVDs that you burn depends largely on the type of DVD player you have in your computer - all new DVDR models, of course, play numerous types of DVDs (DVD+, DVD-, etc.) If, however, you ever use an old DVD player it will probably only play commercial DVD movies.

I know this is late and it seems you are set up already - but perhaps it will help someone else.

gmachine

8. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

its great to know that there are users that will input to help others even after the thread is finished (not sarcastic)

9. permiggs

permiggs Regular member

Linux? Can you get the anti-dandruff version?
    LOL

10. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

WTF <!><?>