1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zealotism in the console/format

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by MrGrimace, Jun 17, 2007.

1. MrGrimace

MrGrimace Member

I posted a message on another forum about the "disc rot" errors in blu-ray. My post was the following.
    Another poster asked me why I defend blu-ray, but did not cry foul when HD-DVD was getting slandered on that particular PS3 forum. I thought about the question, and the potential implication of sinister inaction on my part behind it, and came up with this answer:

When did video game forums (not necessarily speaking about this forum) become less about discussing the positives and potentials of ones own system, and become more about yelling the failures of others?

I agree that on the playstation 3 boards there will tend to be a lot of pro blu-ray posts. Just as on the X-Box 360 boards there will be a bevy of pro HD-DVD posts. I personally chose to go with blu-ray and thus expressed my concern that a manufacturing error picked up by the associated press might paint an unfair picture of that format to the buying public. As I did not pick HD-DVD I feel less compelled to voice my concerns for that medium. This is not to say that I feel HD-DVD is a poor format; only that I want my format to have a fair shake. As to complaining about the unfair treatment of the HD-DVD format on these boards, I can say this: If HD-DVD were in the same situation, I would not be the one to cheer.

I post predominantly in favor of blu-ray due to my substantial financial investment in its success. My brother in law does the same for HD-DVD for his own investment. I argue that neither of us are in the wrong in this case.

This console/format issue has, for all intents and purposes, gone beyond the defense of ones investment. It feels like I am trapped in a religious war anymore. I propose that we no longer feel glory in the downfall of the other side, but instead feel pride in our own side. Ignore those whose only purpose is to put down. Focus instead on bringing your own side up. Refute misinformation, but not with more misinformation.

In short, we shouldn't need to put another persons choice down, just to feel better about our own.

2. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

all disc rot do u know how many cds that were eaten from the inside out i bet hd dvds do too but they dont want to talk about that

3. SpideyBoy

SpideyBoy Member

yea...some ppl can be a$$hole$ on forums...i dont know why...i try and help and see ppls points of views...but...some ppl dont see mine...