1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zoneloader

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Rahsten, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Rahsten

Rahsten Member

I was experiencing long load times, sketchy BGMs, voices and cutscenes, as well as whole sections of game terrain not loading during play. I use 1st class rated media for my backups so I'm not sure why this was happening. I also use SM 3.8 (CODER) and slide tool.

Anyways, I stumbled upon Zoneloader, downloaded and burned it and so far my problems have dissapeared in Bully and GTA:SA backups...I've yet to test it with others. However, GTA still gives me the odd disc error or huge loading wait, but MUCH better than before.

The point of this thread however was to ask if anyone can tell me how does Zoneloader work? What is it actually doing to make everything load better?

Also, I have Zoneloader Beta 0.5, is there anything more recent?

And that top Stickied thread regarding Media is awesome! Helped me figure out a lot of things about the media I'm using...which was getting real confusing as I live in Japan...for example, I bought some TDK and Mitsubishi DVD-Rs and using a media inspector I discovered that they were actually Taiyo Yudens and Verbatims...respectively. Guess I was lucky.

2. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

Lol, GTA SA backups are knowen to be problematic.

Anyway, try TOC refreshing.

3. Rahsten

Rahsten Member

Sorry, TOC is what exactly?

4. ballers

ballers Member

TOc is the size of the game.There is a list of swap magic TOC list in this forum.So search.GTA San Andreas is like 4. something GB.So you need a high TOC game for TOC refresh.

5. Rahsten

Rahsten Member

So, to refresh TOC on say, GTA:SA I need to put in an origianl PS2 disc that is larger than GTAs 4.19 GB?

When exactly do I do that? After Swap Magic or do I put in the backup, then the original, then the backup again?

I also read that Swap Magic prompts you when TOC refresh is needed...can you force the refresh or prompt? I'm a little confused on how to go about refreshing the TOC.

Thanks for the help if you can provide it.

Rahs~

6. ballers

ballers Member

GTA:SA you need to put in an origianl PS2 disc that is larger than GTAs 4.19 GB.boot up swap magic.Then press eject.And put in the large original TOC game.Then press eject.Then let the ps2 read the TOC game of original game.then the ps2 disc game will stop.the screen will say put in original game or something like that.Now put in GTa San Andreas backup.in and boot it up.

7. Rahsten

Rahsten Member

Thanks! But I'm still a little confused with your wording, sorry.

I put in Swap Magic.

Press Eject.

Put in an Original PS2 game.

Press Eject.

**Now, here you say Then let the ps2 read the TOC game of original game. But, if I pressed eject in the previous step how exactly can the PS2 read the Original game?

Thanks again.

8. Rahsten

Rahsten Member

I figured it out. Thanks a lot.

It works beautifully now! I used Xenosaga Disc 1 JAP. It's TOC is 4.37GB so it should work to refresh other games I have problems with.

So, I didn't use Zoneloader...does this mean Zoneloader isn't really necessary? Can I just TOC refresh all the time? It seems to have been much more effective than using Zoneloader.

OK, I gotta go play some games before work here.

9. ballers

ballers Member

Youre welcome.yep, everyone needs help when we r just startin.No problem.Ask anytime.Zoneloader isnt really neccessary but some kind of games need zoneloader to make it work.you can use TOC refresh alot.And it helps.Some games Like street fighter anniversery have many 2 games in 1 disc so you need zoneloader too boot it.And play correctly.But TOC refresh will make a lot of game work.Zoneloader will make some games that have multiple elf files in the game disc work correcly and boot it so it will play.

10. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

Glad it works.
    What PS2 version you have? (slim or fat)

11. ballers

ballers Member

i used to have a slim pstwo vesrion 12 but it died.And now I have the fat PS2 v 6 or 7.

12. Rahsten

Rahsten Member

Cool, I was going to ask if Zoneloader is even necessary after a TOC refresh.

I have a PS2 Fat SPCH-50000, it's Japanese because I live in Japan...I bought it back in 2003 to play FF online. Quit that this year and discovered Swap Magic! It's so awesome to be able to play English games again...I hated playing in Japanese because I always ended up missing vital info and like only getting 60% of the story, lol. For example, MGS3 was so intense with the language that I just gave up on it...now I can play it in English! Like it should be!

My Taiyo Yuden (called 'That's' in Japan)DVD-Rs just arrived from Amazon.co.jp yesterday. I backed up Dawn of Mana and FFx on em so far and they run fine with only Swap Magic, as opposed to when I backed em up on some Mitsubishi (MCC02RG20s)...some sketchy moments on those despite their 1st class rating. Hilariously enough, I just found out that the TDKs I can buy at a local store have teh same media ID as the Taiyo's I ordered...(TYG02)...go figure.

I feel like I've died and gone to heaven recently!