1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zoom H2 portable recorder help

Discussion in 'Audio' started by UltimaMan, Jul 19, 2011.

1. UltimaMan

UltimaMan Member

Hi everyone,

I'm getting a Zoom H2 recorder for podcasts, short adverts and interviews. I've been told that a good external microphone is the way forward. Can anyone recommend one? Also, is it worth getting a windshield that's better than the one that comes packaged with the H2 and is it worth getting a pop filter to go on the microphone/recorder itself?

I'm sorry if this has been posted in the wrong place, it seemed logical to me as this is all about audio.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Mez

Mez Active member

This is exactly the right place.

I think my daughter has one of those, the semi pro version. It costs about 150-200 USDs and is about 4" x 2" x 1" with the mics at the top? If so, those mics are fairly good, way better than what you need and way better than you can buy unless they are selling professional music mics. (Better than anything you can buy at a consumer shop) If you were professionally recording audio with acustic stringed instruments you ought to upgrade to the professional unit. You will not improve the sound by replacing the mic because the recorder is also limited and the mics match the recorder's ability. Those mics are better than your own ears. The professional version cuts out at 40 kHz, the semi professional cuts out at 20 kHz your ears cut out at 9-18 kHz depending on your age and if you have listened to loud audio. The human voice tops out at 2 kHz. Record to mp3s. Books on tape (mp3s downloaded from a national library) are only 8 BR. They sound fine. It is stupid to record in wave even if you are going to edit it later.

3. UltimaMan

UltimaMan Member

Thanks for the advice, it's really helpful. I guess I may not need a mike after all based on what you're saying but I'm still worried about "plosives" (things like p sounds, etc). Can you attach a pop filter to the Zoom H2?

4. Mez

Mez Active member

No, the mics are internal. You can clean the recording in an audio editor. My daughter records in a quite place. I know someone else that uses the pro model to record bands at bars. Again, no need to clean it up. He does own hi-end edit software and uses it for some things. He doesn't belong to this group. You can't hold that recorder. In needs to be stationary or you will have all sorts of noise.

There was some learning about volume and mic distance but there has been no need to clean up the music. Maybe you will need an external mic. I would try it first without. No sense trying to fix something you haven't seen (heard). Once you have a problem then it will be easier to find a solution because you know what it is.

I don't think the expertise you need is hear. I have been on this board for over 8 yrs and I have not heard much highend recording discussions. We are either hobbiests or very poor musicians. Far from the pro market.