1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zune firmware update help

Discussion in 'Portable audio players' started by bigpete87, Apr 6, 2007.

1. bigpete87

bigpete87 Member

My lil bro's Zune is stuck at a screen displaying "1. Connect the Zune to your PC" and after connecting to the PC, displays "2. On your PC, open the Zune software and restore the Zune device firmware." After doing that, the Zune firmware setup pops up telling me to update to 1.3. I click OK and it does the update process. The Zune restarts after updates is almost complete but the Zune keeps going back to the same screen displaying "1. Connect the Zune to your PC." and the update process fails reading "Firmware update failed. Please try again later." on the Zune player. I repeated the steps 20 times and still the same result. I tried some other method, still the same result. My bro doesnt know what caused this issue. So I'm out of luck fixing the problem. Appreciate the help in advance.

2. bigpete87

bigpete87 Member

nvm, i got the Zune firmware installed and its working fine, took me 2 days to fix this problem. Mods can delete this thread.

3. stevey011

stevey011 Member

bigpete, how did you fix the firmware update failed issue, i've been trying many times and it still fails. I heard i can fix it if i update the firmware on a different computer, but i want my computer to update my zune firmware to the latest one

4. bigpete87

bigpete87 Member

i dont know why the firmware installed successfully. I think its when I turned off "Open Zune when Device Connects"(go to Options>Sync), and then I went ahead update the Zune with the current F/W and installed successfully. I tried about 30 times to install the F/W and the last attempt was I turned off the "Open Zune when Device Connects".

5. stevey011

stevey011 Member

wow, so by turning off "open zune when device connects" fixed your problem, was there anything else you did for this firmware to be installed successfully though? I keep hearing windowsupdate always fixes the problem, but i've already did all my windows update and i keep getting the same message "firmware update failed, please try again". Do u remember anything else you configured for it to work?

6. richter6

richter6 Member

hey, pete i experience the same problem, whenever i try to update my firmware to sync more music or even use my zune it just says "firmware update failed, please try again later", and on my zune it shows a number 2 screen with the words "on your pc open up your zune software and restore the zune device firmware".
    I've already unchecked marked the "open zune when device connects" in the options, then sync, and i still experience the same issue, i did update my firmware to 1.3 and uninstalled my zune software to roll back to 1.1, and still get the same message and i went to windowsupdate.microsoft.com to get all my updates.
    There must have been some other way you updated your firmware successfully somehow, can you remember on what you configured for this to happen?

7. bigpete87

bigpete87 Member

Well, I reinstalled Zune software, cleared everything out on the Zune including the F/W and deleting registry by using CCleaner to clean out old registry.

well, I got another problem, probably related the the firmware but the Zune keeps freezing. When I tried to play music, it freezes. Also syncing music, it freezes or stops responding. I got another problem to fix.