1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer restarts during encoding with MeGUI

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by adamryer, Jan 12, 2010.

1. adamryer

adamryer Guest

Im using version 0.3.1.1061 (latest version) of MeGUI to convert a 2.5 hour VC-1 BD rip into h264 and after about 1-2 hours of encoding my computer restarts on its own. Im using Ryu77's standard quality blu-ray profile for the encode and my computer restarts about 1-2 hours into the first pass through the video. Ive tried it several times and it keeps happening. Any ideas as to why this is happening? Could it be MeGUI that is crashing windows? I am running Windows 7 home premium 64bit edition if that matters.

2. ldmadden

ldmadden Member

Does it restart at the exact same time every time? If so, it's software. If it's random it may be hardware. I've never run Windows 7 but figure out how to get the BSOD, which means turning off automatic restarts when you have a crash. Write down what it says. Also, when you get these options changed there should be another which says if an error log is created and where it is created to. Read it and it should give you a good idea of what is crashing the system.

3. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Is there any chance it could be a heat issue? Have you overclocked your CPU?

4. emugamer

emugamer Regular member

That's probably the best 1st step for troubleshooting - checking the CPU temp. I had a similar problem a couple of years ago that went away once I upgraded my stock CPU fan.

adamryer, do you have any temp. monitoring software installed, like Lavalys Everest? If not, there's probably some free programs floating around out there. First check the temp limits in the bios, and then boot up and watch the temp rise as you perform tasks. See if you go over the limit when it shuts down. It's a good check tto rule out fan problems.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum as not a blu-ray issue. sounds like heat to me either cpu or maybe videocard.

6. adamryer

adamryer Guest

yes heat was indeed the cause of the problem. My athlon x2 black edition is overclocked from 2.6Ghz stock to 3.1Ghz, but this is not a significant overclock for this chip, and I even have the voltage set to stock setting of 1.35v. I have an arctic freezer 64 pro cooling it with arctic silver 5 thermal paste. My temps were reching up to 65 degrees celcius on one core and close to 75 degrees on the other core when under 100% load during encoding in MeGui. After cleaning the heatsink and cpu, reapplying thermal paste and resitting the cooler my temps dropped down to around 58 on one core and 69 on the other core under 100% load. I am now able to finish a 24 hour encoding job without it restarting but these temps are still way too high for this cpu. Im considering either picking up a new cooler or trying a new cpu.