1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In need of a Hard Drive Test/Wipe Program

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Severeth, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Severeth

Severeth Regular member

Hello, Hoping someone out there might have run accross a program that would work for me. I have thousands of Laptop SATA and IDE hard drives ranging from 40GB to 500GB. Right now I have about 25 Machines set up and I been testing them and wiping them with programs on the Ultimate Boot CD. This works for one drive at a time on one machine. I've been putting allot of thought into how to test more drives per machine plus it being more automated. So I am in search for a Windows/Linux Based program that I can tell too test these selected drives and if they are good then also write to each sector to completely wipe the drive. I found that in order to use a 10 port USB hub to connect 10 usb adapters to connect drives to I had to use a Laboratory grade adjustable power supply in order to handle the amps. So connecting 10 drives to one machine is complete. If I can only find a program that would do as I stated above I would be golden. I could set up 250 drives at one time to be tested and wiped. If you know of a program or you think you can write the program yourself please let me know. I'll buy your time. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and hope to hear some good feedback.

2. Severeth

Severeth Regular member

Also, I understand this post may have to be moved to software forum. Wasn't sure as you can understand by my post above.

3. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

If you install linux or use a live cd you can use dd to write zeros to the disk. just use this command "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=16k" and substitute sda with the location of the hard drive you are wiping. you can open a new terminal and run this command for every drive in the computer at once. You will need to make sure the drives are unmounted before you do this or it wont work.

Unfortunately I dont know of any tools for checking multiple hard drives at once.