1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble with hardcoding subs in handbrake

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by Uncle-Nasse, May 8, 2012.

1. Uncle-Nasse

Uncle-Nasse Member

Hi guys!

I'm trying to hardcode subtitles to .mkv files, which would then be converted to a format suitable for watching in iTunes. I'm using Handbrake and I attempted to proceed in the manner described in this thread: http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-158/hardcode_subs_embedded_in_mkv_and_convert_to_ipod-853629/

However, checking the box "Burned In" doesn't seem to be possible at all. After this I found out on the Handbrake website that "SRT files are pass-through only. They cannot be burnt into the video". So what am I supposed to do to get my subs hardcoded? Convert them into .ssa? I tried that too, but Handbrake doesn't seem to allow any other subs than .srt, since I can only find a button for "Import SRT", no other formats. Converting the videos themselves doesn't pose a problem, just the subs.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Edit 1: Just tried Avidemux (2.5). Video turned out fine with subs hardcoded... except that neither Quicktime nor iTunes recognizes the file, even though it's clearly in mp4. Furthermore, XviD2PSP 5 was extremely unresponsive on my OS - Win 7 Ultimate - and version 6 lacked the option to hardcode subs (at least I couldn't find it anywhere). This is starting to get really annoying!

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  2. gonwk

gonwk Member

Hi Uncle-Nasse,

When I saw the Title Hard-Subbing Subtitles ... I wanted to skip over the post since I Strongly Dislike it when people Hard-Sub subtitles to a Movie ... like Greek or ... hard-sub to a Classic movie ... it Ruins the darn movie. But as I read your topic I see you want to use it on your iPhone or something ... so ...

Try that ought to do the Trick.

Hope this helps ... post back your result for the next person.

Cheers,

G!:)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  3. chibislane

chibislane Member

Have you tried Cyko as a front end to handbrake?
    It allows ssa files in an mkv container, not sure about raw. At least I hope I'm hardsubbing right now with ssa subs right now. 2 more hours to go.