1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FreeNas

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by tom804, Jun 12, 2011.

1. tom804

tom804 Regular member

Anyone familiar with using FreeNas?

2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

yeah.. it's good for purpose but don't expose it to the raw internet.. for that use slackware or a proper stripped and hardened linux distro.

3. tom804

tom804 Regular member

What are you trying to do?

4. tom804

tom804 Regular member

Okay looks like the previous users post was deleted.

5. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  6. Schmick

Schmick Member

When it is just me trying to access over the internet, I use SSH (sshfs) rather than FTP. In addition to ssh access to terminal and ability to connect through most FTP software, lots of stuff you can do with tunnels for vnc, rsync etc as well with practically no additional effort or risk. Off topic, but rsync actually lets you set up your own private dropbox style cloud storage, without having to jack around with storage limits or their dubious security policies. And using rsync to make hard link backups is pretty cool too.

For NAS on home network I just set up NFS shares, you don't need a specific distro to do so. . A lot easier and more stable than samba in my experience, unless you have windows clients that require it.

Yeah, I'm still alive Jan :) . Just on lousy mobile phone internet until we move into our new place in a fortnight.

7. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

Tassie is it?.. good to hear life. Shame that only a few miles down the road from my Stevo you guys never got together for a couple of beers. If you are still up St M's way I can always hit you guys up with a phone number so you can have a brew (or ten) before you set off to the land of the dinosaurs ;)

anyhow.. you know our email and where my website and irc is if you need to get in touch.. be safe yes? xx

8. Schmick

Schmick Member

Yeah, been down here in Tas for better part of 6 months now. We've bought a nice place and set to move in next week. Then only a couple of weeks until we FINALLY get some ADSL again.

How you going with getting down to Australia?

9. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

It's getting closer every day.. waiting on one really vital piece of paper which I will get notification sometime around 3rd next month.. then a bit of a performance regarding passports and once that is done I'm waiting on Stevo ;)

We both like the look of Gympie.. seems like a place with prospects (and QLD accepts the kind of paperwork I have no questions asked, unlike NSW ;)