1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

using PAINT and WORDPAD

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by rtrg, Jun 29, 2009.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

Please move this post as needed. First some background info. I am using a P3 tower. I installed a scan software program that HP calls the "DIRECTOR" for the officejet and psc line of all in ones. It works, even though HP said that this full featured software was NOT available for the K80 that I am using. Tell that to the tower and the printer. The software is not easy to find. The issues here is that my DELL P4 will NOT accept the same software using the same K80. After a half hour or more, "ERROR IN LINE 408" is displayed. I resorted to use "PAINT". The other issue is I can scan, save, send to email as an attachment, print from PAINT or email. What I CANNOT do is send a scanned document TO WORDPAD or scan directly TO WORDPAD. Only the DIRECTOR can do that which DELL refuses to accept. And round and round we go. What I need is a "FREE" scan program similar to HP that DELL will accept, or a fix that will allow me to link PAINT to WORDPAD. I do NOT have WORD. CANNOT install the cd I have, no key # to enter. Can anyone offer solutions?

2. dailun

dailun Active member

"What I CANNOT do is send a scanned document TO WORDPAD or scan directly TO WORDPAD"

You need OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software or functionality to do this.

With this software you can scan a document and the software will attempt to "read" the image for alphanumeric characters.

Apparently, the HP Director software contains some level of OCR functionality, but since 99% of all comments regarding the HP Director software are along the lines of "it sucks" and "can't get it to work", I don't have a high level of confidence that it works properly.

Documents scanned to e-mail attchments are images.

If you scanner has a TWAIN driver, there are several "off the shelf" programs that you might be able to use. Some may be free, but I am not aware of freeware OCR software.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  3. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

DAILUN--- My all in one DOES have a twin driver according to HP. I do have the DIRECTOR on two of my towers. The third will not accept it. Can you provide me with a list of reccomendations at the lower end of the $ range? Free ones are also great. They do not need to be elaborate. Any info welcome.

4. dailun

dailun Active member

What does "will not accept it" mean? Does this mean that you can't install the program on the PC? You can't run it? It doesn't recognize devices?

Software should be hardware platform agnostic unless you are using a external device (i.e. scanner) that it doesn't recognize.

Are you using the same OS on all three hardware platforms?

5. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

All three towers are running XP PRO. One is a P3, the other two are P4s. The HP "DIRECTOR" scan software DOES install and run on my GATEWAY P3, and my SONY P4. I am using two HP K80s, Hp tells me that the software was never designed for the K and it will either not install or not run. Neither is the case. The download page describes the software as "a full feature package for the K series and PSC series. No mention of specific model #s. As for DELL, the software ATTEMPTS to install. After what appears to be a normal install process, at the very end an error mess appears, "error in line 408. please abort the install and restart the computer". No further info. I am looking into OPEN OFFICE program, a WORD clone that I hope has scanning built into it as PAINT does. PAINT is too restrictive. This DIRECTOR program is a bit better but it only works with MS products ONLY. That does not help me. I am thinking that DELL might be either simply incompatible with this software, or there is a setting somewhere that prevents it. Your insights welcome.

6. dailun

dailun Active member

I have no good answers for you.

According to what I see, currently shipping HP Director software does NOT support the K80.

There is limited software for the K80 which does apparently have OCR functionality.

If there is a TWAIN driver that installs with the product, you may be able to use third party software.

Sorry, not much help.