1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP 64bit vs Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Dante016, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Dante016

Dante016 Member

I am about to custom build a new pc. For starters it will run amd's 3.30ghz 6 core processor, a radeon 5870, and 12-16gigs of tri channel ddr3 ram. I do alot of 2d design (adobe photoshop, fireworks, flash, premiere pro, and after effects. As far as 3d design ( Autodesk Maya, Pixologics Zbrush, and headus uv for uv layouts. I do not game heavily on my pc but when I do it will be something such as a mmo like maple story or Battlefield 3 when it comes out. Regardless I want to get the most out of my pc's power and my question here is the OS. Do you think I should run Windows XP 64bit or Windows 7 64bit?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

make certain your programs can work in either xp 64bit or win7 64bit.

3. buzzwo

buzzwo Member

I am also running an AMD 6 core(3.2 Ghz,8gb ram and RAID5)setup. One would think the older/lighter OS XP64 would be faster... however.... For me it was Win7-64 hands down. Most of it was stability and driver development being much more mature for Win7, I believe.

4. 1nsan3

1nsan3 Regular member

i tried windows 7, and in reality, theres not much difference between vista and 7, a bit more eye candy, and 7 of course uses more resources than vista. i would go with 7 only if ya want more eye candy. Personally i hate it. Im a win 2000 Pro type of guy, other wise xp. very easy simple and to the point. let the suits and little buisness geeks have there eye candy.

but hey good luck.