1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how sfe is sandbox?

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by Mez, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Mez

Mez Active member

I have discovered maybe half my free utilities were infected. Sandbox requires you to lower all protection to install. I am getting it to load these free utilities.

2. scum101

scum101 Guest

eh? .. how did they get infected?

3. jony218

jony218 Guest

sandboxes are complicated, and if not setup correctly they will be next to useless. Sandbox are very safe if you know how to use it properly.

I use a more simpler "sandbox" called returnil. This put's your entire c: drive in a sandbox. While you are on the internet anything you download lives only in the sandbox. When you reboot everything that occur while returnil was enabled is deleted. No virus/spyware has ever survived the reboot.

Another free program that just came out "comodo time machine" can be consider a "sandbox" program. It makes a baseline snapshot, which you can always go back to. You can install programs/utilitys to test etc on a different snapshot, if you get spyware/virus just restore a previous clean snapshot. That's probably the type of program you need so you can "test" your utilitys on a snapshot without damaging your windows.

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member