1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

painfully slow web browsing after installing firewall

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by coqui3l, Jan 31, 2010.

1. coqui3l

coqui3l Member

hi all,

After installing comodo on one pc and zonealarm on another, web browsing has slowed down to a pain on both systems. In particular, IE8 or googleChrome takes about 6 or 7 seconds just to open; then another 8 or 9 seconds to render a webpage. Before installing the firewalls, both progies on both systems were nearly instant to open and to render a website.

I've uninstalled comodo but the problem continues. Any suggestions? thanks.

coqui

2. jony218

jony218 Guest

Do you have any antispyware software installed?
    Antivirus and antispyware software is what will slow you down because it has to analyze all data being written to the drive. I never had problems with a firewall slowing me down unless it's part of a security suite.

My system
    1. Zone alarm
    2. avira free antivirus
    3. firefox browser
    4. returnil (used instead of antispyware software)

I don't think your firewall is the problem.

3. coqui3l

coqui3l Member

No, I don't have either anti-spyware or anti-virus progz installed; it's rare that I surf outside of very trusted sites like yahoo.com or hotmail.com. Virtually all email attachments are scanned by hotmail.

Like I mentioned in my original post, the slowness began immediately afer installing comodo on 1 system and zonealarm on the other system. I will point out however that the slowness has lessened a bit since uninstalling comodo; but the slowness is still painful.

Btw, I downloaded versions directly/indirectly from the websites of comodo and zonealarm. I don't get it.

4. jony218

jony218 Guest

My advice is to get either sandboxie or returnil and use that when you surf the internet. Sandboxie will put your browser in a sandbox seperating it from your system files. Returnil is just one big sandbox, it puts your entire c: drive in a protected sandbox, you can theoretically (though not recommended if you have valuable data on your drive) run your computer on the internet without a firewall/antivirus/antispyware just using returnil as your security.

I have gotten hit with viruses/malware when I was surfing what I thought was safe sites. Thats why even a free antivirus is important, but the above 2 programs will protect you even if you have no antivirus installed.

You might want to do a virus scan, you might have malware already in your computer causing the slowdown. Internet explorer is extremely susceptible to virus attack. Try installing firefox and see if that is also slow on the internet.

5. coqui3l

coqui3l Member

Thanks.