1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sandboxie ??? and alternate

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by Albert02, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Albert02

Albert02 Member

Can anyone help me to how to integrate sandboxie to firefox or any alternative addon for firefox that is same with sandboxie's do

Thanks Again

2. jony218

jony218 Guest

It should do it automatically, it will be "sandboxed web browser".
    Or you can open main window /sandbox/default box/run sandboxed/web browser.

If you have problems with it, you can always use "returnil" it puts your entire c: drive in a sandbox. You press enable to put your computer in a sandbox but you need to reboot to come out of the sandbox.

Sandboxie and returnil are both excellent software for surfing the internet. No virus or malware will defeat either of these programs.

Firefox doesn't have any addons that will do what either of these programs do.

3. Albert02

Albert02 Member

any bad effects or downside on using sandboxie and returnil or none

In:
    download
    browsing Speed
    Entering social website (Friendster/Facebook)
    Streaming (youtube)
    Forums

If none, maybe its time to switch

which of these two greatly integrates on firefox (no hassles)

4. Albert02

Albert02 Member

Wait is Returnil is a deepfreeze like apps or different

5. jony218

jony218 Guest

There is no downside with either sandboxie or returnil, they both run in memory and they don't scan anything in realtime like antivirus/antispyware software. Your speed remains the same on your browser.
    They won't interfere with you logging in etc, they only have one job to do and that is to prevent anything from getting onto your hard drive. Both programs will let you download viruses if you want but they will only live in a virtual world.

Returnil is similar to deepfreeze except that returnil will put you into a "freeze" instantaneously whenever you want. Deepfreeze you need to reboot to get into a freeze state. When I use returnil in a freeze state, there is no performance hit. Returnil doesn't mess with your MBR or interfere with imaging software. Extremely reliable. When you uninstall it won't leave anything behind. Deepfreeze is not easy to remove.

The only minor problem with sandboxie is that anything you download is inside a "sandbox" and you need to manually extract them. If you close sandboxie without extracting your downloads they are lost.

These type of softwares are the only ones that will let your surf anywhere you want without getting your computer permanently infected. I wouldn't surf the internet without either returnil or sandboxie.

6. Albert02

Albert02 Member

at first I really don't imagine that kind of software really exist until now, well this is another kind of defense for my PC

Thanks Returnil and sandboxie
    Thanks for afterdawners who give me and d' info on this great apps
    Thanks Afterdawn.com

7. Albert02

Albert02 Member

EHhhhhh!!!!!

In HOME:

I installed Returnil and follow the pre-lauching requirements after installation and agreed to make a Returnil Drive Z:....

-Protection status - On
    -Protection Partition - Somewhere in C drive
    -Session Lock - Off
    -Protection Sched - Deactivated
    -Advance Setting - Drop Change
    ---------------------------------------------
    Virtual Partition - Z:\

Am I Protected? Or Need something to do so...
    How I know that im ready and protected...

Question:
    -What if I have multiple partition and I saved something in drive D: for example will returnil delete that after rebooted?

-

THANKS for Reading

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  8. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I haven't used this software so I don't know the answer. But why not download a picture, any picture. Save the Afterdawn logo if you want. Move this file to the directory your worried about, your D: drive or whatever drive you want. Then reboot. If the file is there it doesn't/won't delete those files. If it isn't there it does. Simple as that.

9. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Only C drive is protected,so moving an item to another partition will not get that item deleted once you reboot it will still be there

10. Albert02

Albert02 Member

drive c only well,, if thats it, it will not fix the issue of NBA 2k10/2K9 save file w/c is loacated on "document and settings folder"

Did someone test it? I cant Find a way to moved the save file destination...

Thanks for the reply

11. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

You don't have to run a sandbox 24/7 if you have a decent firewall & fully patched OS,if the game is played offline or even online there's no reason to be in a sandbox,a sand box is useful if your surfing new websites or testing new software

As for changing folder locations for game saves only the game itself can do that if it allows it,you'd have to look at the settings config to see if folder placement can be changed,if there's nothing you either need to save them manually or turn off the sandbox